Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Weird engine noise

I have a 98 ws6 and I'm getting a weird sound from my engine. First of all I bought my car at an auction-it was a police stolen recovery and was really stripped-no hood, t-tops, radio. Anyway, while it was sitting at the auction site it rained like hell for a couple of days. The engine and the interior got all wet so I don't know if the sound is because of the engine getting wet. Well, the sound i'm getting is kind of a whistling or screeching sound. I notice it sounds louder as I rev the engine so I was thinking it was one of the pullies. I'm not sure if it's rust but I do notice it sounds a lot louder on a rainy humid day and you can barely hear it when it's sunny and dry outside. I tried lubricating the pullies with some wd-40 but it still won't go away. I also noticed it got a little louder after I washed my engine with simple green and rinsed it off. I have no problems with the car but it's kind of embarrasing sometimes with that sound. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the idler/tensioner pulley.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the belt off and start it up. Do you still hear it? If you dont, it is either one of the pumps/pullies on the serp. belt, if not, look elsewhere.