Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can anyone tell if the belt is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can anyone tell if the belt is bad?

Had somone tell me the belt will need to be replaced, looks fine to me. But I'm not very well versed in that. Also how easy is it to replace?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't tell from your picture. Are there little cracks in the belt? how old are the belts, how many miles? Just a few months back, I did my belts, and all my pulleys. Pretty simple as far as the belts. Take a picture of your belts, how they go if you don't have that little picture on the side of the engine bay with the belt drawing. All belts, sooner or later will NEED to be replaced, as a lot of shops will say.
Do a search on ls1tech, and read up. It helps a lot.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...w-archive.html
This video is more about the pulleys, but it might help you when he talks about the cracks in a belt.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is extremely easy to replace the belt, and cheap. If you don't know how old they are , I just Replace both belts! If you have the stock underdrive pulley, go to any auto parts store and they usually have a couple different brands in stock, ranging from $12 to $20 if I remember correctly. I buy 2 of the cheapest ones each, and place a spare set in the tool case. I write the date in marker on the belt that I replaced it, or just make a log sheet in your garage with fuel filter change dates, oil changes, etc....
Old 03-15-2014, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
I can't tell from your picture. Are there little cracks in the belt? how old are the belts, how many miles? Just a few months back, I did my belts, and all my pulleys. Pretty simple as far as the belts. Take a picture of your belts, how they go if you don't have that little picture on the side of the engine bay with the belt drawing. All belts, sooner or later will NEED to be replaced, as a lot of shops will say.
Do a search on ls1tech, and read up. It helps a lot.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...w-archive.html
This video is more about the pulleys, but it might help you when he talks about the cracks in a belt.
LS1 Camaro Trans AM (Idler Pulley Replacement *1998-2002*) - YouTube
Originally Posted by RJDio
It is extremely easy to replace the belt, and cheap. If you don't know how old they are , I just Replace both belts! If you have the stock underdrive pulley, go to any auto parts store and they usually have a couple different brands in stock, ranging from $12 to $20 if I remember correctly. I buy 2 of the cheapest ones each, and place a spare set in the tool case. I write the date in marker on the belt that I replaced it, or just make a log sheet in your garage with fuel filter change dates, oil changes, etc....
Idk since I just bought it. It doesn't look cracked but he said the sides we're frayed? So is it just loosening one pulley slipping the new belt on? How do you know how tight to make it?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

To change it just use a wrench on the bolt that's in the middle of the pulley in your picture. The whole "arm" that that pulley is attached to should rotate clockwise giving you enough slack to get the belt on and off, the spring in the arm will keep the belt tight enough. You should have another belt behind that one that goes to the ac compressor so put it on first. Having someone to help hold the belt will make it easier to wrap around all the pulleys.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what he said ^^^. Yours Looks like a stock tensioner. Like above poster said, you just use a wrench and rotate the entire tensioner clockwise and it creates slack in the belt. Do it once and you will never forget how, it is easy. The tensioner is spring loaded and that is what applies pressure to the belt, there is not an adjustment.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear/inspection

Quick Reply: can anyone tell if the belt is bad?