Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed my new BBK headers!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed my new BBK headers!!

ANOTHER UPDATE 03/25

hey guys so I got my BBK headers installed these past few days. I had a friend install them for me and he only did it in 4 hours. he did a badass job and if anyone in the Bay Area, CA needs to do some work shot me a PM and ill refer you to him. I had everything he needed to do the install and it went in perfect. He didn't have to move anything out of the way and they tucked up real nice.

I also did my spark plugs just cuz it was convenient although my car only has 20k miles on the odom.... I also did a Dyno Tune over at Newtech Performance also in the Bay Area. Nick definitely knows his ****. man did wonders on the tune and his prices are very competitive.

So the bolt ons that I did on the car were; BBK LT headers with the ORY from them, SLP Lid, NGK Spark plugs and MSD wires, and then the Dyno Tune. so my first run the car had 310HP, after tuning it and what not it got up to 360HP so a very good jump and decent for what I'm lookin to do with the car. The exhaust I have is the SLP loud mouth 1 and it sounds beastly. heres a pic of the headers installed...click "MY VIDEO" for the dyno!!

View My Video

Last edited by cwdub4; 03-25-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

buy them from ws6store.com , 379 shipped .

You should get new gm header bolts, and new gm exhaust manifold gaskets. You will need 0-2 extensions for your front o2s.

Your car will need a tune as you will not have egr or air . But you have a 2002 so your missing one of those . But you will need a tune to take care of the cel .

I have these on my car and they are the easiest install ever. They fit so well , you will need someone to hold them up from the bottom while you put the bolts in from the top .
Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
buy them from ws6store.com , 379 shipped .

You should get new gm header bolts, and new gm exhaust manifold gaskets. You will need 0-2 extensions for your front o2s.

Your car will need a tune as you will not have egr or air . But you have a 2002 so your missing one of those . But you will need a tune to take care of the cel .

I have these on my car and they are the easiest install ever. They fit so well , you will need someone to hold them up from the bottom while you put the bolts in from the top .
Thanks for the info brother I appreciate it!! How does it sound in the car?? Is it pretty loud and or rasp??
Old 03-17-2014, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

As said above, your car should not have EGR so all you have to delete is the AIR and rear O2's.

All BBK headers should be the same no matter where you buy them, but notice that there is a "chrome" version and some that are ceramic coated.

How it sounds is going to depend way more on your catback setup than the LT's.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z-camaro
As said above, your car should not have EGR so all you have to delete is the AIR and rear O2's.

All BBK headers should be the same no matter where you buy them, but notice that there is a "chrome" version and some that are ceramic coated.

How it sounds is going to depend way more on your catback setup than the LT's.
I have the Loudmouth 1 right now, and that's it. I don't plan on doing anything else to it other than an intake.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

I been looking at a lot of headers, and I don't have a lot of money but I been thinking about the TSP headers with their ORY...So question, should I go with the BBK setup or the TSP W/ORY setup? let me know guys.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

tsp Is going to be a little tougher install. if you go with tsp get the 1 7/8 headers.

tsp will make more power. the y pipe on the bbk is only 2.5" so it's a slight restriction.

but they bbks are so easy to install. and great ground clearance.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

btw I have the 3.5" mufflex catback and its to queit inside the car for my liking. it's going to depend on your catback.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

well just bought my setup gentlemen. I ordered the BBK LT setup with new MSD/NGK wires and plugs, also the mental gasket. My car only has 20,000 miles on it but I figure Id upgrade the plugs anyway. Pretty excited about it.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
btw I have the 3.5" mufflex catback and its to queit inside the car for my liking. it's going to depend on your catback.
hey bro do you know which Air system I'd be deleting? and how to do it? also when I do a tune, do I just tell the shop I need it tuned for the new LT's?
Old 03-17-2014, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cwdub4
Thanks for the info brother I appreciate it!! How does it sound in the car?? Is it pretty loud and or rasp??

BBK LT's were eazy to install, and sound awesome thought my Magnaflow.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey just so you know the end of the y pipe and the start of your catback are the same size so you will need a band clamp.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 73CamaroLT
Hey just so you know the end of the y pipe and the start of your catback are the same size so you will need a band clamp.
will order it now thanks brother... will I need anything else?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd go ahead and do poly motor mounts since the exhaust will be off the engine.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I'd go ahead and do poly motor mounts since the exhaust will be off the engine.
do I NEED to get the motor mounts? don't really want to bother with them and from what I hear the BBK's fit amazing

in case ppl don't see the UPDATE...

So just an hour ago I bought the BBK LT header setup w/ the ORY pipe that comes with it. A little info on the car, Its an 02 35th SS, M6 with 20k miles... the only thing Ive done to the car is MGW short throw, and Loudmouth 1 exhaust.

I been reading about the whole EGR and AIR deletes after the LT install, and to be honest Im very lost on what to do with this part. I was wondering If any one can describe to me in detail how to delete these things, maybe some pics would help... Ive searched all over and found some threads but im still lost as some are old with no pics!

The headers are for off road, meaning they don't have the attached valve for the EGR and stuff, my main concern is where to start on deleting those from the car, and also when I delete them I will be tuning it ASAP on the dyno so that will be taken care of. I also bought some MSD/NGK spark plugs and wires although my car has very low miles I'd figure I would just change them anyways. I also bought the GM metal gasket as well.

So all in all I just really need in depth guidance on removing/deleting the AIR/EGR crap Please help me out guys.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I have that setup and I am looking at switching the Y-pipe because it isnt long enough to fit into the Dual/Dual SLP exhaust and therefore causes an exhaust leak.. (on mine anyway)

and yes I have a 3 inch band clamp around it..
Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

do I NEED to get the motor mounts? don't really want to bother with them and from what I hear the BBK's fit amazing

in case ppl don't see the UPDATE...

So just an hour ago I bought the BBK LT header setup w/ the ORY pipe that comes with it. A little info on the car, Its an 02 35th SS, M6 with 20k miles... the only thing Ive done to the car is MGW short throw, and Loudmouth 1 exhaust.

I been reading about the whole EGR and AIR deletes after the LT install, and to be honest Im very lost on what to do with this part. I was wondering If any one can describe to me in detail how to delete these things, maybe some pics would help... Ive searched all over and found some threads but im still lost as some are old with no pics!

The headers are for off road, meaning they don't have the attached valve for the EGR and stuff, my main concern is where to start on deleting those from the car, and also when I delete them I will be tuning it ASAP on the dyno so that will be taken care of. I also bought some MSD/NGK spark plugs and wires although my car has very low miles I'd figure I would just change them anyways. I also bought the GM metal gasket as well.

So all in all I just really need in depth guidance on removing/deleting the AIR/EGR crap Please help me out guys.
You dont have an EGR just AIR, The AIR is easy to remove, http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/Instal...%20Systems.mht That should help...
Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey bro do you know which Air system I'd be deleting? and how to do it? also when I do a tune, do I just tell the shop I need it tuned for the new LT's?
There is an air pump in the left front of the car that can be accessed from underneath. The hose from it runs under the hood up along the D/S fender well to the left/rear intake manifold area. There are two other hoses that run from around the same area to each exhaust manifold. All of this can be deleted including the other items connected to it. Do a search and there are some good threads on it. Since the purpose of this system is only to function at startup until the cats warm up IIRC there are no codes triggered when removed. When you remove the cats and the rear O2s that will trigger a code and will have to be tuned out. Regardless, IMO you should tell your tuner everything you have done to the car so they are aware prior to performing a tune.

Here is a thread that I asked questions about deleting the air and updated recently.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...questions.html

Last edited by ssgunny; 03-18-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added link.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Your exhaust will likely be pretty loud and raspy with the Loudmouth catback. Some love this, some hate it. Those who don't like it often put a Magnaflow, Borla, or dynomax bullet muffler in place of the SLP resonator to get a better sound.

When you get a tune you will want to specify that you have deleted AIR, the rear O2's, and I would recommend having them get rid of the skip shift feature at the same time.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

you dont need motor mounts , its nice to do when your there . but not needed. Do some research on here and get a dyno tune , otherwise you could get a tune by frost , which isnt as good but it will work in the mean time to get your check engine lights off .

let the tuner know you deleted the cats, rear o2s and the air system .

Quick Reply: Just installed my new BBK headers!!