Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 02:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about Headers

Sup guys,

I have a 01 WS6 and i'm thinking about completing my exhaust set up by purchasing LT headers.

I have a GMMG exhaust and I'm thinking about maybe Kooks or ARH headers. But I don't know what size to get so i don't scrape the crap out of them going over speed bumps, or in and out of driveways. I also want to invest in some new cats. I do live in cali, and i already know i don't pass with the GMMG setup, but f*** cali at least i'll pass in the other 49 states. I also do NOT plan on doing any internal modifications or boosting in the future.

More Questions:

Will I need a merge collector? Should I buy headers that already have a cat and merge collector welded together?

More over, I WILL do this INSTALL by my self in my GARAGE. So any tips or tool suggestions to make the job cleaner and more efficient are appreciated as well.

Extra info:

Btw, I switched out my shocks and springs to the same setup on the firehawk models, which dropped the car an inch over the factory high performance setup.

I did read the Header/Exhaust sticky, so please do not direct me to it.

Thank you.

-Mike

Last edited by TorqueMachineWS6; 03-18-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're not doing any internal work Pacesetters work just fine, they preform well, they're cheap, and ground clearance is good. but if money is no option then just run some stainless ones from kooks, 1 3/4" to a 3" collector works, no need for the 1 7/8 with out any other engine mods. as far as the cats go i couldnt tell ya, as soon as i got my headers i chopped mine off. and installing can be a pain i did mine with my dad we jacked the car up and put them in from the bottom.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If your going to spend the money on nice stainless LT's, I would recommend doing it once and doing it right with 1-7/8" primaries and 3" collectors/Y-pipe. There a fair number of threads on here with dyno graphs showing the larger primaries provide gains even on a stock engine.

For the install just get the car as high as you can on jack stands and have a friend hold them in place so you can start the header bolts.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2^^^^
Old 03-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z-camaro
If your going to spend the money on nice stainless LT's, I would recommend doing it once and doing it right with 1-7/8" primaries and 3" collectors/Y-pipe. There a fair number of threads on here with dyno graphs showing the larger primaries provide gains even on a stock engine.

For the install just get the car as high as you can on jack stands and have a friend hold them in place so you can start the header bolts.
Exactly my thought. I want to do the job once and right, without headache and worries later on.

Now if I go with the 1-7/8" primaries and a 3" collector to merge with the y-pipe, will i have have any fitment or clearance issues? Last thing i want is the heat from these bigger headers to eat at the parts/body around them.

Or possibly having to take the k-member off to get them fit from the bottom? Stuff like that is what I mean by fitment issues.

-Mike

Originally Posted by 2000WS6TA
if you're not doing any internal work Pacesetters work just fine, they preform well, they're cheap, and ground clearance is good. but if money is no option then just run some stainless ones from kooks, 1 3/4" to a 3" collector works, no need for the 1 7/8 with out any other engine mods. as far as the cats go i couldnt tell ya, as soon as i got my headers i chopped mine off. and installing can be a pain i did mine with my dad we jacked the car up and put them in from the bottom.

When isn't money an option haha. I actually was told to stay away from pacesetter for the lousy quality and i hear they go out in a year or so? How's your experience with them so far?

-Mike
Old 03-18-2014, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Trust me the jack stands have to be pretty damn high for the install.... ask me how I know lol. If you have access to a lift I highly recommend using it.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:00 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Texas Speed 1 7/8"

You'll need 27 1/2" from the bottom of the K to the floor to install them. Think harbor freight 6 ton jack stands... Maybe some wood. It's easily done. Really not hard at all.

But don't skip on the motor mounts. Your knock sensors will thank you. I like Prothane for poly. I personally ran Spohn solids, and UMI as well as Midwest Chassis have solids available that won't raise your motor.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look at Speed Engineering products. Their Stainless Steel headers cost $200, far less than Kooks. According to SE, they are coming out with a 1 7/8" primary header by the Fall of this year.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...available.html
Old 03-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Teching In

^^^ Holy Headers! Those are looking really good! Have you tried them out or ordered a pair? Has anyone actually? 25rwhp sounds sweet

-mike

Quick Reply: Thinking about Headers