Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

collector/ORY/floorboard issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default collector/ORY/floorboard issue

i just installed my long tubes and the driverside collector angle inhibits the y pipe section from going on. it hits the floor pan reinforcement thing (?)

ive tried adjusting the header. i guess i have two options. motor mounts are not one of them. the engine is coming out again in a couple months anyways for a cam, gaskets, etc, but i wanted to do the headers and plugs for the time being.

option 1: pound in/notch the pan reinforcement?

option 2: get a shop to bend and shorten the section in a more dramatic angle to slip on the collector and clear the reinforcement? (the issue with this is that its stainless and mandrel bent and the two shitty exhaust shops do crush bent and mild steel exhausts.

what do you guys think?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collector clearance

Maybe an adjustable torque arm or finding a way to lower the trans tail shaft a 1/4" will give you the clearance as long as the angle of the engine and pinion isn't too great. Just an idea.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Option 1,
I'd get a short piece of thick walled 2.25"-2.75" OD metal pipe(local hardware store) and jack it up into the floor pan brace repeatedly until you get the needed clearance. This does a nicer job of giving you the needed clearance without it looking bad, and it a lot easier than beating the floor brace with a big hammer.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-27-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Option 1,
I'd get a short piece of thick walled 2.25"-2.75" OD metal pipe(local hardware store) and jack it up into the floor pan brace repeatedly until you get the needed clearance. This does a nicer job of giving you the need clearance without it looking really bad, and it a lot easier than beating the floor brace with a big hammer.
this is what i ended up doing except i used a 1'' diameter bolt and it looks decent. jacked a nice subtle arch in the reinforcement. thanks man
Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man you need to put that section of the pipe in a vice and squeeze it until it ovals out the pipe. May want to use some rags to cushion it in the vice.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed the Dynatech long tubes on my car, I ran into a similar issue where the floor support was contacting the y-pipe. I ended up cutting an arc into the support and welding in tubing to restructure the location while still providing full clearance for the exhaust.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

This seems to be an issue with most ORY's, looking for a good solution with mine too.
NOT sure why these vendors cant factor in that brace cross member on the drivers side? Are they all copying one bad prototype? Just a slight bend in that area would solve that issue...???

Quick Reply: collector/ORY/floorboard issue