Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight pipe w/ muffler & turn down off the LTs or do TD dumps @ axles w/ X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Straight pipe w/ muffler & turn down off the LTs or do TD dumps @ axles w/ X pipe

I have a WS6 convertible and am currently swapping the LS1 with a LQ9. I am using the Edelbrock Vic step headers and was thinking of running the exhaust off the LTs with a muffler and turn downs or a true dual dup at the axle with an X pipe. See pic below.

As for the mufflers, I was thinking of running the Moroso Spiral-Flows. Do they make knock offs of these?

Any pros or cons to each? Will fumes me an issue with either setup?

BTW - I don't know if it will be an issue, but the collector on the Edelbrock headers is a 3.5", will that be a problem with the smaller diameter mufflers?

Thanks!

Strait off the LTs:

And the X Pipe:

Old 03-26-2014, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you think these setups would interfere with the UMI sub frame connectors?

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=597

Old 03-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did 18'' magnaflows off the header collector, to me it sounds much better than an xpipe setup, you get that individual pop from each side that just rumbles. I used the max rev software to input all my engine specs and it called for the exhaust to be 3'' diameter and 31'' long, picked up 3mph in the 1/4 over a 3.5'' ypipe/catback setup out the back. I have no issues with fumes but if your windows are down and you drive through a pile of dust it gets in the car lol.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the great info, Bro! Let me ask you this... I know you say you can't smell it, but DO YOU like exhaust fumes, after a drive? Someone told me this setup is liken to an exhaust leak and that you'll smell like exhaust after a drive.

Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3" true duals with x pipe then spiraflows then turndowns. Here's what it sounds like. I'll try and get you a picture next time I am down by my car. It sits really low so it will be kind of difficult.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice!

I trying to figure out what bullet or maybe a glasspack, like the Purple Homie from Flowtech.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will it hurt to go from a 3.5 to a smaller inlet? Like I've said, the collectors on the LTs are 3.5".
Old 03-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beave
I did 18'' magnaflows off the header collector, to me it sounds much better than an xpipe setup, you get that individual pop from each side that just rumbles. I used the max rev software to input all my engine specs and it called for the exhaust to be 3'' diameter and 31'' long, picked up 3mph in the 1/4 over a 3.5'' ypipe/catback setup out the back. I have no issues with fumes but if your windows are down and you drive through a pile of dust it gets in the car lol.
I want to hear this, do you have a video and the one in the photo from orginal poster.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My newest exhaust is 2 classic chambered powersticks with Y pipe modified to go into each muffler that is dumped at the axle.

Cats are deleted also.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to be taking off my Texas Speed true duals and going with SLP Loud Mouth 1 Resonators right off the headers. I love the way my current setup sounds, but going right off the headers will save weight and give me more of the sound I'm looking for. You really can't go wrong either way, in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I'm going to be taking off my Texas Speed true duals and going with SLP Loud Mouth 1 Resonators right off the headers. I love the way my current setup sounds, but going right off the headers will save weight and give me more of the sound I'm looking for. You really can't go wrong either way, in my opinion.
So do you plan on not running an x pipe then? Pretty much just like the first picture?
Old 03-27-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Streetlegal?
So do you plan on not running an x pipe then? Pretty much just like the first picture?
Yep. I'll sell the Texas Speed true duals and just roll like that. I love loud, so the louder the better. Plus, looking to cut some weight out of the car, so that will shave a few pounds.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a drive you will smell like exhaust. Windows down will make it worse, as will sitting in traffic. The fumes collect under the car and filter in. if i go for a drive during light traffic times, and am constantly moving, the smell is less.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ go this route if you want your wife/girlfriend to NEVER ask to use your car to get to work
Old 03-27-2014, 01:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running the Victor Jr stepped headers (bought before working here or I would have just ran our 1-7/8" headers) on my Trans Am and the collector on the driver's side kicks out too far to really use the TSP true dual set up without quite a bit of fabrication. I'm building my dual exhaust as we speak and I'll be running an H-pipe as it would take too aggressive of a bend to try to run an x-pipe set up. I also ditched the collectors off of my Victor Jr headers and I'm running a Flowmaster tri-y scavenger collector off of them. If your car is slammed then I would run a y-pipe into a 4" single bullet dumped just before the axle for the best ground clearance. I have a couple of friends with that exact set up on their cars and it sounds good but does pop a little on deceleration. I have BMR lowering springs on my TA and in my opinion I still have plenty of ground clearance. If you're building your own I would run the exhaust closer toward the trans tunnel so they can tuck up a little nicer and you could run an H-pipe. You will have to run a reducer from a 3-1/2" to 3" from off the collector. Your headers should have come with one. 3-1/2" true duals is pretty aggressive unless your spraying a bunch of nitrous or using a supercharger.

Lonnie

Last edited by Sales3@Texas-Speed; 03-27-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
I'm running the Victor Jr stepped headers (bought before working here or I would have just ran our 1-7/8" headers) on my Trans Am and the collector on the driver's side kicks out too far to really use the TSP true dual set up without quite a bit of fabrication. I'm building my dual exhaust as we speak and I'll be running an H-pipe as it would take too aggressive of a bend to try to run an x-pipe set up. I also ditched the collectors off of my Victor Jr headers and I'm running a Flowmaster tri-y scavenger collector off of them. If your car is slammed then I would run a y-pipe into a 4" single bullet dumped just before the axle for the best ground clearance. I have a couple of friends with that exact set up on their cars and it sounds good but does pop a little on deceleration. I have BMR lowering springs on my TA and in my opinion I still have plenty of ground clearance.

Lonnie
Would the Flowmaster tri-y scavenger collector work for my Stainless Works long tube headers? The collector on the Stainless Works headers is only 2.5 inches and I'd benefit from bigger.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Would the Flowmaster tri-y scavenger collector work for my Stainless Works long tube headers? The collector on the Stainless Works headers is only 2.5 inches and I'd benefit from bigger.
I bet they would, though you would definitely have to do a little fabrication to fit them to your existing exhaust. I like them because not only does it extend the primary length but the flat part of the tri-y sits directly under that brace on the drivers side that everyone has problems with and improves ground clearance. Once it's finished here in about a week I'll post some pics of my set up here on tech.

Lonnie
Old 03-27-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Part number of the collector please.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The collector part number from Flowmaster is C178238300. Unfortunately we do not sell those but any sponsor that carries Flowmaster should be able to get those for you. I will say that fitting the collectors over the primary tubes is a little bit of a chore but with some patience it can be done. Here is a picture of those collectors.

Lonnie

Last edited by Sales3@Texas-Speed; 03-27-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

So how do you use these? Do the 4 tubes of the go into the collector of the LTs? What exactly is the point to these, again?

I found some Purple Hornies and some Cherry Bombs. I was thinking of just mating them up to the LTs with a turn down on the end.

Quick Reply: Straight pipe w/ muffler & turn down off the LTs or do TD dumps @ axles w/ X pipe