Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different Collector For Stainless Works Headers???

Old 03-27-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Different Collector For Stainless Works Headers???

I'm currently running Stainless Works long tube headers. The collector size is only 2.5 inches. I know it's a restriction at this point with the mods in my signature. Would it be possible to cut the collector off and put on a different, larger, collector. Something like the Flowmaster Tri-y collector? Or am I better off just buying larger headers?
Old 03-27-2014, 02:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you did run the Flowmaster Scavenger collector it isn't made of stainless steel. I have a better solution if you don't want to sell the headers. Give me a minute and I will Draw something up for you and post it. It's what I did to my Mac headers back in the day and it made a BIG improvement on my set up.

Lonnie
Old 03-27-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
If you did run the Flowmaster Scavenger collector it isn't made of stainless steel. I have a better solution if you don't want to sell the headers. Give me a minute and I will Draw something up for you and post it. It's what I did to my Mac headers back in the day and it made a BIG improvement on my set up.

Lonnie
Yeah, that would be great. My current headers are 1 3/4 primaries, which I know isn't as good as 1 7/8, but I know the 2.5 inch collectors are hurting me bad. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Here is what I did. Cut the collector at 2-3/4" Then Weld a 3" pipe in as a collector. It will overlap a little. The extra 1/8" lip that hangs down will act as an anti reversion / scavenger collector. This worked very well for me when I did it on my Mac Headers back in the day. Please excuse the crude drawing but I think you can see what I'm talking about. Where the dotted line is you would cut the collector there.
Lonnie
Old 03-27-2014, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a question about putting headers on last week i put headers on my car i put pacesetter race ready headers with the 3in outlet,i had to get extensions for the front O2 sensors but for the back two whats the best way to eliminate them the o2 simulators are so hard to find.....help lol.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thank you. So just to make sure I have this correct, the 3 inch pipe will actually go up into the header some, as the 3 inch pipe is larger than where you cut, which is 2-3/4. Am I understanding your right?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Thank you. So just to make sure I have this correct, the 3 inch pipe will actually go up into the header some, as the 3 inch pipe is larger than where you cut, which is 2-3/4. Am I understanding your right?
The 3" stainless pipe would slide over the stock trimmed collector. So the stock collector that is trimmed to 2-3/4" will slide into the new 3" pipe. If you've ever seen the double cone shaped scavenger collectors that look like two cones with the smaller ends facing each other, this set up reacts in the same way. But the look is a little different. Basically, you just want a little bit of a lip to hang down on the inside of the new collector to give you the same results.

Lonnie
Old 03-27-2014, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by WhiteLightening01
I also have a question about putting headers on last week i put headers on my car i put pacesetter race ready headers with the 3in outlet,i had to get extensions for the front O2 sensors but for the back two whats the best way to eliminate them the o2 simulators are so hard to find.....help lol.
The O2 simulators were outlawed so you won't be able to find them for sale new anymore. You would have to have the rear O2 sensors turned off in your tune. We do offer mail order tuning in which you can mail your computer in and we can tune it and turn those rear sensors off. If you have any more questions feel free to give me a call or shoot me a PM and I can discuss it further with you.

Lonnie
Old 03-27-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gottcha. So the smaller trimmed part of the collector (on the inside of the new 3 inch collector) acts as a scavenger collector.

Guess it will need to be tig welded, right, since the headers are stainless and the 3 inch pipe will be too?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Gottcha. So the smaller trimmed part of the collector (on the inside of the new 3 inch collector) acts as a scavenger collector.

Guess it will need to be tig welded, right, since the headers are stainless and the 3 inch pipe will be too?
You are correct on both parts.

Lonnie
Old 03-27-2014, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

check out burns stainless. they have some nice merges there.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:43 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
check out burns stainless. they have some nice merges there.
Burns is nice but very pricey. That's why I went with the Flowmaster tri-y set up on my car instead of paying $700 for their collectors haha. At that point it would be more economical to just sell the original set and buy the proper set with 3" collectors.

Lonnie
Old 03-28-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

true, i found the prices after i posted. i was umm damn might as well get some tsp headers for that price. lol.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I might just opt to sell these and buy the Texas Speed 1 7/8 headers. If I could do this without taking the headers off the car, I'd opt for it, but since I don't see that being possible, might as well just buy some better headers while I'm at it.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I might just opt to sell these and buy the Texas Speed 1 7/8 headers. If I could do this without taking the headers off the car, I'd opt for it, but since I don't see that being possible, might as well just buy some better headers while I'm at it.
It would be difficult to do with them still on the vehicle. Plus the 1-7/8" headers will outshine a modified version of your current headers anyways. Just give me a call whenever your ready to pull that trigger. I'd be more than happy to set you up with those.

Lonnie
Old 03-28-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
It would be difficult to do with them still on the vehicle. Plus the 1-7/8" headers will outshine a modified version of your current headers anyways. Just give me a call whenever your ready to pull that trigger. I'd be more than happy to set you up with those.

Lonnie
Will do. I've got a lot planned this spring/summer, but just need to make sure I've got enough time to get it all done so my car's not down during the nice weather. I've been itching to get it out, but the weather here in Missouri has been ****.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:17 PM

There is no substitute for 8 into 1 (BMW e30)

All other variations still sound like a burly, throaty, deep American V8. But an 8 into 1 ... there really isn't anything like it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Different Collector For Stainless Works Headers???