Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a LQ9 Swap into 68 Firebird - Have a question RE Intake Mani

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing a LQ9 Swap into 68 Firebird - Have a question RE Intake Mani

Hello gang,

I posted this thread in the wrong forum so am reposting in the right one..

I'm acquiring all the parts to do this swap. I've just about got everything for it almost on order and am hoping to ave the engine running and the car driving within a month's time. Here is a question I have... I have searched and everywhere I looked, I found information that contracted what I had read before.

I know that the truck intake manifold on the LQ9 won't clear my hood and I need to swap it out for a lower intake mani from a LS1/2/6/7. From what I read, either of those will bolt up? Some may require me to use a different water pump.. May or will? Whenever people said "different" no one ever actually said which? A corresponding waterpump (so a LS6 intake mani would need me to use a LS6 water pump)? What about injectors, would any or all of those require me change them out too? I've already established that the fuel rail will need to get changed out. Anything else needed to be changed for this conversion/swap?

Why hasn't anyone put together an intake manifold swap kit yet that consists of everything needed including injectors etc? Have to go fishing for parts and guess fitments etc...

Might have more questions as I hit the ground running with the swap. For anyone interested, I'll be mounting a TKO 600 behind the engine.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

There are several combinations that will work. Do a search in the conversions section.
You'll need 98-02 f body intake, injectors, rail, and new injector pigtails.
Modify your alt bracket, relocate idler.
2010 LS3 water pump/tensioner, or 98-02 f body pump/tensioner with 3/4" spacers.
My 5.3, LS1 intake, flex fuel injectors, aftermarket rails, modified f body pump.

My LQ9, LS1 intake, rails, injectors, modified water pump

And in case you have not seen it, everything you'll need to bolt up your TKO.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html
Old 04-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

^ GREAT info, thanks for that! Yes I've seen the thread and already have everything I need on order for this I believe. I called up Paul at American Powertrain and told him about my swap and we put together a list of all the things I need for this to happen in my car, including a pedal set as my car was auto. Super helpful guy!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Just one other note, you can use an LS1 or 6 intake. Both will work with cathedral port 317 LQ9 heads and the 3 bolt DBW TB will bolt up to it too. If you're considering any upgrades, you might look for an LS6 intake now.
An LS2 intake wont fit the TB, LS7 wont fit the heads.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Teching In

I did the ls3 top end on mine. and my car is drive by cable so I converted my tb to that. you can also just "modify" the water pump. by that I mean just hammer it to the side so the intake will sit on there nicely and modify your alt bracket to help save money. if you don't want to go that route dirty dingo sells a water pump spacer for the ls1 water pump on truck motors. but if you are looking for power I would go the ls3 top end way.

Quick Reply: Doing a LQ9 Swap into 68 Firebird - Have a question RE Intake Mani