Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 seems no more powerfull then my lt1

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 seems no more powerfull then my lt1

Alright so I think my car has a clogged cat or maybe a bad o2 sensor as iv owned it maybe 3 weeks now and it's been the same but a ls1 should be more powerfull on the top end then a lt-1 and mine just seems the same

Iv had 3 lt-1 Camaros and 2 were stock except air intakes so it's puzzling me why the ls1 isn't a way better performer.

So just want some input... oh and I think it has a small vac leak as it idles from 800ish to 1100ish rpm surging... But hasn't stalled or anything close to stalling before.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well the old "butt dyno" can be deceiving at times Sure it's not just you?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the SES light on, or have you scanned it for DTC codes ?

Give the PCV system a look over for any cracked hoses, its a common vac leak on aging cars. I would also look in to a tune up... Spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, and oil if it hasn't been done in a while.

I agree with above the butt dyno can be deceiving but the LT1 is slightly under the LS1 power stock for stock.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do really do have a vacuum leak or 1 or more of many other possible issues, it will sap the life out of any engine.
Sounds like after a visual hose check you need to start off with a code check , see what shows up & go from there.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

An LS engine feels a lot different than an LT1 IMO.

A few of my friends have LT1 4th gens with bolt on's. When I bought my 2000 Firehawk(lid & SLP y pipe) I thought the same thing as the OP. The LS engine's power seems to smoother and more linear than the LT1's.

It's deceiving the way it feels.

OP has the car had a tube up recently? Have you checked the STFT's and LTFT's to see if it might have a vacuum leak?
Old 04-06-2014, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

seems i remembering reading this back in 1998.

but being these cars are old its possible it might be in need a some repairs.

have it checked out by someone who is familiar with these cars if you can.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the same thing when I first switched. The ole lt1 seems like it has a lot more torque than the ls. The ls comes on later in the rpm range. It's faster just not as torquey and savage feeling as the Lt.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
I noticed the same thing when I first switched. The ole lt1 seems like it has a lot more torque than the ls. The ls comes on later in the rpm range. It's faster just not as torquey and savage feeling as the Lt.
Very well said.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
yup. I have both. the lt1 just seems to hit harder when you punch on it. other than that I don't think my LE1 LT1 car will beat my bolt on ls1.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by big hammer
yup. I have both. the lt1 just seems to hit harder when you punch on it. other than that I don't think my LE1 LT1 car will beat my bolt on ls1.
Ok well I guess what I meant is exactly what a few of yall said... the lt-1's just seemed more torquey then ls1 is.

But yea I bought a new fuel filter last week and I couldn't find it near the motor so im guessing it runs somewhere on the frame like the ole c20 trucks huh? I just haven't had time to jack the car up and look
Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by goldcar
Ok well I guess what I meant is exactly what a few of yall said... the lt-1's just seemed more torquey then ls1 is.

But yea I bought a new fuel filter last week and I couldn't find it near the motor so im guessing it runs somewhere on the frame like the ole c20 trucks huh? I just haven't had time to jack the car up and look
It's in front of the left rear tire.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the reason why you don't seem to 'feel' much difference is because there may not 'be' much difference in hp between your stock or lightly modded LT1 vs. comparable LS1. There have been up to 15hp discussed differences in stock LS1's in Fbodies, maybe a little more. I've always heard 1 car runs harder than another. So seat of the pants won't tell you it is much faster until you line them up same conditions and race. I've owned both, my LT1 with cold air and exhaust could run with the stock LS1's when they came out, of course LS1 with mods is a different story!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RJDio
the reason why you don't seem to 'feel' much difference is because there may not 'be' much difference in hp between your stock or lightly modded LT1 vs. comparable LS1. There have been up to 15hp discussed differences in stock LS1's in Fbodies, maybe a little more. I've always heard 1 car runs harder than another. So seat of the pants won't tell you it is much faster until you line them up same conditions and race. I've owned both, my LT1 with cold air and exhaust could run with the stock LS1's when they came out, of course LS1 with mods is a different story!
A ls1 is supposed to have around 340 crank hp though... and a lt-1 is 275hp soooo im confused as ls1 is underated at 305hp but we all know they push about 305 to the wheels rite?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by RJDio
my stock SS never lost to an lt1 with those mods.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goldcar
A ls1 is supposed to have around 340 crank hp though... and a lt-1 is 275hp soooo im confused as ls1 is underated at 305hp but we all know they push about 305 to the wheels rite?
Not sure what his LT1 is putting down, and not sure what his LS1 is putting down, so there really may not be much hp difference to 'feel'. So many people say "I put a pulley on..or an electrice water pump on... and I can feel the difference" yea okay, I really can't. But I'm not going to call them a liar. I've raced and beaten LS1's with my '97 Z28 intake / exhaust LT1. Same goes for my LS1 Trans Am, you win some and lose some. Or just line 2 brand new cars up and race them, I can guarantee you that 1 will be faster - EVERY TIME. Be confused.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know MANY people who have made the same claims/had the same feeling as OP comparing stock cars. Contrary to popular belief, LS1 cars aren't leaps and bounds faster than a well-optioned LT1 car in stock form in most cases. Bolt-ons on an LT car only narrow the gap.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran several lt1 camaros 2 of them was z28 the other was 30th anniversary camaro ss 6 speed and they could not hang with ls1 camaro ss and my car is a4
Old 04-11-2014, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99 ss
I ran several lt1 camaros 2 of them was z28 the other was 30th anniversary camaro ss 6 speed and they could not hang with ls1 camaro ss and my car is a4
The discussion here is not whether LS1 cars are faster (they are-no debate here), most people here are just making the speculation that they don't feel faster when driving them.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right well people need to understand that ls1 cars are more for top end power not off the line so much now if we line up the lt1 against the ls1 well most likely the lt1 might just get the ls1 off take off but after that that lt1 will be in some trouble couse top end is where the ls1 feels like a unstoppable monster
Old 04-12-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99 ss
Right well people need to understand that ls1 cars are more for top end power not off the line so much now if we line up the lt1 against the ls1 well most likely the lt1 might just get the ls1 off take off but after that that lt1 will be in some trouble couse top end is where the ls1 feels like a unstoppable monster
First off, use punctuation. Your post is hard to understand. If you have a post or comment worth making, then it's worth making it readable.

Secondly, what you said was already discussed as well.

Quick Reply: Ls1 seems no more powerfull then my lt1