Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a exhaust cutout for my 99 SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Thinking about a exhaust cutout for my 99 SS

I'm currently running all factory exhaust except for a Magnaflow muffler going into a CME. I have considered replacing the Magnaflow with a LM1 but affraid I might get tired of the loud exhaust after a while. Should I just get a electric cutout and place it in the I pipe before it bends and goes over the axel pipe like this?

Has anybody ran into any problem with heat, etc doing it this way?

What size is the factory I pipe on a 99 SS?

Would this be the cheapest and best bang for my buck? ( Don't know if I should have posted a link so Mods please delete the link if I wasn't supposed to put it there )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QTP-QTEC25CPS-2-5-2-1-2-Electric-Exhaust-Valve-Stainless-Cutout-Y-Pipe-/360895232999?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5407083be7&vxp=mtr
Would I need anything else to do the cutout besides what's in the link? Thanks for looking!

Thanks,
DwDrummer
Old 04-14-2014, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Go with the DMH cutout. I have it and it is awesome, one of my favorite mods. I have it right where it says in that picture and no cats on the car. It gets nice and loud plus it sounds sweeeeet with the cam.

Stock piping I believe is 2.50" someone correct me if I'm wrong
Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need QTEC30CP. Thats 3". Options would be the 11300 which is the turndown and the 10900 which is the wireless remote. ANy questions feel free to contact us.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

I'd probably stay away from DMH cutouts, the owner/company has alot of negative feedback for not returning or answering phone calls/emails. Im not sure if he is still in business even, your best bet is to go with QTP. Atleast you'll be able to contact them if you have any issues.

Also, I agree with QTP on you'll want/need a turndown to help get the gases out from under the car but I would probably skip buying the wireless remote in my opion. A switch in the car is easy enough to use.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2^ You wont need the remote control unless you want to. Stick with QTP, you should get a low profile cutout. Fits 2.5"-3" pipe.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

qtp here..... mounted in the cubby hole spot under the rear seat. Also have a nice gromet to run the wires through. I love mine.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
Go with the DMH cutout. I have it and it is awesome, one of my favorite mods. I have it right where it says in that picture and no cats on the car. It gets nice and loud plus it sounds sweeeeet with the cam.

Stock piping I believe is 2.50" someone correct me if I'm wrong
How much did it cost to have yours welded in?

Originally Posted by Quick Time
You will need QTEC30CP. Thats 3". Options would be the 11300 which is the turndown and the 10900 which is the wireless remote. ANy questions feel free to contact us.
PM sent!

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
I'd probably stay away from DMH cutouts, the owner/company has alot of negative feedback for not returning or answering phone calls/emails. Im not sure if he is still in business even, your best bet is to go with QTP. Atleast you'll be able to contact them if you have any issues.

Also, I agree with QTP on you'll want/need a turndown to help get the gases out from under the car but I would probably skip buying the wireless remote in my opion. A switch in the car is easy enough to use.
I had a DMH cutout on my old car and best of my memory I never had any issues with it but I appreciate the heads up!

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
x2^ You wont need the remote control unless you want to. Stick with QTP, you should get a low profile cutout. Fits 2.5"-3" pipe.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
qtp here..... mounted in the cubby hole spot under the rear seat. Also have a nice gromet to run the wires through. I love mine.
Thanks for the advice! Got any pictures of your setup? I'm bored at work lol
Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd also get some type of heat sleeve/protective loom for the cut-out wiring under the car.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DwDrummer
How much did it cost to have yours welded in? PM sent! I had a DMH cutout on my old car and best of my memory I never had any issues with it but I appreciate the heads up! Thanks! Thanks for the advice! Got any pictures of your setup? I'm bored at work lol
Paid a local shop $70 to weld the Y pipe in for the cutout.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
Paid a local shop $70 to weld the Y pipe in for the cutout.
Thanks! Can somebody tell me for sure if I need to get a 3" QTP kit for the factory I pipe on a 99 SS? Don't want to get it to small or big lol! Is the turn down that goes on the back of the cutout a must where I will be installing it?
Old 04-15-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! Can somebody tell me for sure if I need to get a 3" QTP kit for the factory I pipe on a 99 SS? Don't want to get it to small or big lol! Is the turn down that goes on the back of the cutout a must where I will be installing it?
Here was my setup. The I pipe is more like 2.75" OD and I bought a QTP 3" dump and a DMH ecutout. I think I relocated the wiring to another grommet since the location depicted in the picture was exposed to the exhaust. As far as the turn down it is a nice to have and not really necessary.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about a exhaust cutout for my 99 SS-qtp-dmh-installed-20-mar.jpg  

Last edited by ssgunny; 04-15-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ssgunny
Here was my setup. The I pipe is more like 2.75" OD and I bought a QTP 3" dump and a DMH ecutout. I think I relocated the wiring to another grommet since the location depicted in the picture it was exposed to the exhaust. As far as the turn down it is a nice to have and not really necessary.
Thanks for the picture and help on the I pipe size. Do you have any videos of how yours sounds? Just wondering how loud my car will be since it's all factory minus magna flow muffler.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the picture and help on the I pipe size. Do you have any videos of how yours sounds? Just wondering how loud my car will be since it's all factory minus magna flow muffler.
Can't tell you how it is going to sound with cats and factory manifolds. I took this a while back when I had the LS1 in. Mods were LT headers, cat delete, lid and all that bs, borla catback.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No vids. I don't think there is much difference in the sound level from that setup and long tubes and catless version as I have had both. It's loud.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

So even with stock manifolds and cats the cut out will still be loud?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont go with DMH, bought my cutout 2 years ago and failed within a year tried to contact them many ways and never responded. had to take it apart myself and somehow got it to work. then it quit after another year. looking to get a QTP now
Old 04-15-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So even with stock manifolds and cats the cut out will still be loud?
It really wont be loud until you go long tubes, ory, cam. IMO
Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Will attempt to get pics and vid for you this evening......
Old 04-16-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
Will attempt to get pics and vid for you this evening......
Thanks!
Old 04-16-2014, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks!
I posted a YouTube video for you

Quick Reply: Thinking about a exhaust cutout for my 99 SS