Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Help! Header Bolt

Old 04-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Help! Header Bolt

So im doing my headers tomorrow on my 2001 z28, and i took a look today just to find that my first drivers side manifold bolt is broken off flush(ish) with the head. I am going to try to remove it tomorrow, but im not sure which way is the best way. Welding a nut to it? Or drilling it out? Ive heard a lot of people breaking easy outs, so im hesitant to try that. I also would like to hear some success stories instead of failure stories lol need a confidence boost.
Im also using header studs instead of bolts for my install, so if i can just get the stud in there, ill be good.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:07 PM

Default My opinion

Personally I'd say weld a nut on. As long as you're careful with the heat you have a far slimmer chance of damage and it's easier. If the weld won't hold then move to drilling
Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply, i do agree. Hopefully my dad is a good welder haha.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Left handed drill bit, easy out, some heat should get it.

The most important part is getting it centered punched in the center.

Heat up around the bolt on the head, try not to heat the bolt. The aluminum will expand much faster than the bolt which helps break it free.

Most of the time a left handed drill bit will spin the broken bolt out with out needing an easy out.

To help to get it center punched you can use a short piece of brake line that fits inside the bolt hole. You can either use a punch or a drill bit the same diameter as the the inside of brake line. I drill out a lot of broken exhaust bolts on 5.4's at work and doing this makes things a lot easier.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Also thanks for the reply, im not sure if we have left handed drill bits, but i know i can still use right handed. I did watch a couple videos and it looked pretty easy, im just hoping that the easy out doesnt break, or that i have to pull the heads.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atahtz28
Also thanks for the reply, im not sure if we have left handed drill bits, but i know i can still use right handed. I did watch a couple videos and it looked pretty easy, im just hoping that the easy out doesnt break, or that i have to pull the heads.
I tried the left handed bit with no luck so next came the easeout and it broke off after 2 turns just barely getting the bolt flush with the head. I welded a nut to the bolt making sure to ground the welding lead on the other end of the head so the current will travel from the nut to the stud and get some good penetration. I used about 80-90 amps with a mig welder and dont worry about the aluminum it wont hurt it at all. Spray water on the nut and bolt to cool them off. Drain all the coolant from the head so you can heat it with a torch if not the water will keep it from heating up enough to expand. I used a regular cutting torch and applied heat all around the head near the bolt. It came right out with a little heat applied to the head. G.L.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
I tried the left handed bit with no luck so next came the easeout and it broke off after 2 turns just barely getting the bolt flush with the head. I welded a nut to the bolt making sure to ground the welding lead on the other end of the head so the current will travel from the nut to the stud and get some good penetration. I used about 80-90 amps with a mig welder and dont worry about the aluminum it wont hurt it at all. Spray water on the nut and bolt to cool them off. Drain all the coolant from the head so you can heat it with a torch if not the water will keep it from heating up enough to expand. I used a regular cutting torch and applied heat all around the head near the bolt. It came right out with a little heat applied to the head. G.L.
That was a very detailed description, thank you a ton! A mig welder is what we have too and i didn't know about the coolant part. I think i am going to try this way first and if that doesn't work ill go to the other options, thanks guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick Help! Header Bolt