Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my first LS1 - need some advice on mods.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my first LS1 - need some advice on mods.

I just bought my first LS1 / T56 car (2000 Camaro SS with 52000km / 32000 miles).

I started reading the stickies but they seem a little out dated, so I was hoping for some advice on the following.

I want to get more power and noise out of the car (it is all stock except for a flowmaster catback).

I am hearing long-tube headers are a great bang-for-buck mod. Are these things easy to install, or require a mechanic shop? Any particular brand to go for in terms of cost vs quality? I suppose I need to find the same manufacturer Y pipe to match?

How about intake manifold? I am hearing 01-02 cars had LS6 IM.. should I look at upgrading to that, or is there a better option for the money?

How about SLP cold air intake - waste of time, or worth it?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Damn, I wish I could give you info but I cant. It looks like my car is outdated from all the info in the outdated stickies

What's your budget?
Old 05-10-2014, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get yourself a lid. The SLP is popular. Look into the SSRA ram air, also a good mod. LT headers really helps with power. Texas Speed makes some very nice stainless headers. And a good dyno tune after that. Of course, everything is dependent on your budget.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

get a lid as others have mentioned. just get what you like and whats the cheapest.

im a fan of ARH AND KOOKS for LTs but they arent cheap.

as far installing them yourself it depends on your ability.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

you from Canada bro?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

Posts may seem outdated but info still applies. Gen3 info even crosses into gen4 as well. I learned a lot about cam choice there.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Loud car? Longtubes, Offroad Y pipe, and a cutout.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tips guys. It seems like texas speed is the way to go for headers / ypipe in terms of cost:performance.

The problem is I live in Toronto Canada, so I need to make sure they are able to ship, or at least ship to Buffalo NY where I can pick them up and drive them back.

By lid, you guys are referring to a non-restrictive airbox right?

Between intake manifold and cams, which is generally the better "Bang for buck"? Do mild cams really hurt fuel mileage / drivability?

I am hoping to keep my mods below $3000-3500.

What about suspension, is there a preferred spring / shock combo? I know with my Mustang, H&R springs and Koni or Bilstein shocks were generally the way to.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by paradigmGT
Thanks for the tips guys. It seems like texas speed is the way to go for headers / ypipe in terms of cost:performance.

The problem is I live in Toronto Canada, so I need to make sure they are able to ship, or at least ship to Buffalo NY where I can pick them up and drive them back.

By lid, you guys are referring to a non-restrictive airbox right?

Between intake manifold and cams, which is generally the better "Bang for buck"? Do mild cams really hurt fuel mileage / drivability?

I am hoping to keep my mods below $3000-3500.

What about suspension, is there a preferred spring / shock combo? I know with my Mustang, H&R springs and Koni or Bilstein shocks were generally the way to.
TSP for headers...on the money (not just because I'm from Texas)
The lid is the plastic "cover" on the air filter. I like the Whisper lid.
LS6 intake will be the cheapest and most effective route initially, but a FAST 90 or 92 with be more advantageous for later mods.
A good streetable cam within the 220/220 to 228/228/ with <.600 lift and a 114 LSA will be very streetable and can be daily driven. Shocks are up to you.
Find yourself a good tuner with a Dyno and know your DA or Density Altitude. I am a big suspension over power mods guy so I will say make the most of the power you have with upper/lower control arms, panhard, sub-frames and k-member. A stall is essential if you are an A4. Also I like magnaflow for the muffler, it just sounds right on the LSX. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

How are you able to tell which rear end ratio the car came with from the factory? I suspect that the ratio is very tall, and I would like to be able to tell for sure first before swapping.

What is the rear end ratio of choice for a good mix of city / highway?
Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Look on your door sticker where all the codes are. GU2=2.73 GU5 = 3.23 GU6 = 3.42.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

since your car is a t56 you will have 3.42s and will show the gu6 rpo code. Gears really dont effect mpgs that much in an m6 thanks to the tall gears. I run 3.90's and lost little to nothing
Old 05-13-2014, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Keep in mind that when you upgrade your cam it will cost more than the $3xx for just a cam. You should get a new timing chain/gear and some get a new oil pump as well. These have a tendency to break, so while your in there you might as replace it. You will need new pushrods + springs to match your cam and most do a trunnion upgrade as well.

In general, just click on sponsor links on the side-> They all generally carry the same main brands for parts. I know ws6store gives free shipping (not sure about international shipping) for orders over $100 so that is always a plus since your going to be shipping some big items. I order all of my stuff through them and they have been great.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28SLPCAMAROZ28
Keep in mind that when you upgrade your cam it will cost more than the $3xx for just a cam. You should get a new timing chain/gear and some get a new oil pump as well. These have a tendency to break, so while your in there you might as replace it. You will need new pushrods + springs to match your cam and most do a trunnion upgrade as well.

In general, just click on sponsor links on the side-> They all generally carry the same main brands for parts. I know ws6store gives free shipping (not sure about international shipping) for orders over $100 so that is always a plus since your going to be shipping some big items. I order all of my stuff through them and they have been great.
Ah thanks for the info, Ill need to check out ws6store. Are there any other commonly used stores here, or just go for whatever is listed as a sponsor?

For rear end gears, is there a preferred brand?

How about short throw shifter - any preferred one? I know the Steeda Tri-ax was amongst the best for my Mustang.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Teching In

In not for sure if they're a sponsor or not but check out Hawks Third gen.com they have some pretty decent stuff, they also sell used parts off parts cars THEY have. Good way to get what you need/ want at a decent price.

Quick Reply: Just got my first LS1 - need some advice on mods.