Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Always low coolant

Old 05-12-2014, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Always low coolant

I just got done replacing the low coolant sensor after the radiator decided to blow it out going down the highway . After this I refilled radiator just like usual with the hose unplugged at the throttle body to burb system. Car run's great no overheat issues or anything but for some stupid reason the coolant is always below the low coolant sensor level in the radiator. It doesn't take long either maybe 15-20 minutes and it's drained down but it never goes lower than that. Question is I have filled it back up at least 3 time's now and it's still doing it. Where in the hell is all the water going number 1 and with no overheating issues and no leaks that I can see do I just keep refilling till it stays full or should I maybe just top off the overflow tank or what. I can't read the level on the overflow tank due to many years of dex cool crap built up on it. I figured it only held maybe 2qt's or so at max.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

You may have air in the system still...try burping it some more. How hot did your car get when your coolant sensor blew out?
Old 05-12-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Lets just say it blew water out so fast and being on the highway I had no way to instantly turn car off so it got almost into red line before I was able to shut it down. Didn't help the ****** tow truck guy started it up several time's while it was hot to get it back to red line several more times I'm hoping to hell it didn't crack anything in the block. No white smoke or milky oil. But it is straight water right now no coolant in it till I can figure stuff out.

Edit: It also had this problem before all this stuff went down. So it's not like it just popped up or something.

Last edited by *98Formula*; 05-12-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Dang, that sucks....not gonna jump to conclusions, but you know what I am thinking. I would do a leak down test on the coolant system then go from there.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:28 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Make sure your have a stock radiator cap.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Leak down test is your best bet. If you didn't Jack up the car when you burped the system try jacking up the pass side while burping it
Old 05-14-2014, 07:45 AM
Launching!

I've never seen one go bad, but could it be the seals on the cross flow coolant tubes? I would look on the backside near the transmission if you can't see a leak. But yeah pressure test

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Always low coolant