Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible Luck Must Read

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 01:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry Horrible Luck Must Read

My problems just keep getting worse as the days go by. Here is the short version. Swapped out my Macs for a set of Flowtech longtubes, Stock crank pulley for a ASP (I'll get back to that in a min), LSX intake for my LS6 intake, and swapped in a slightly larger cam. Had the car all dyno'd, made 7hp less then before on the SAME dyno, and the car stopped making power at 5900RPMS.

I have noticed for the past few days a slight noise under the hood like a belt squeak. Replace the belt today and it seemed to have cured the squeak, that is till I am on my way to work. Take the car up to around 5k in first and 2nd and let out, no biggie, do it all the time. BOOM! Pull the car over to the side of the road to find out, my belt has came off, but wait it gets better. So did my damn PULLEY!! WTF?!?!?! The pulley has been on the car for the past 3 months and not one problem till now. Here are some pics I took tonight. I am so fed up with this **** I am about to buy a ford.

BTW: The reason it is all chewed up is I guess I also ran over it in the process. I have also had the pulley installed for almost 4 months now too.

Last edited by HC02SS; 05-18-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that IS horrible!! GL on your ride man.... and do yourself a favor.... Don't defile yourself w/ a Ford.... She may be sweet & tempting looking, but you'll never be able to look yourself in the mirror if you do it w/ her.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Werid **** man!! Talked to a buddy of mine from Texas and he had the SAME thing happen to him the other day. Makes you wonder.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:27 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, you modified a car, made less power with it, then screwed up something and its the CARS fault!

I say, push it over a cliff and collect the insurance money. Then go buy yourself a nice safe honda civic or v6 mustang with a K&N airfilter, neon plug wires, and a real big tip.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Did you reuse your crank bolt, or buy a new one.?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,098 Likes on 721 Posts

I have seen that happen when folks did not hit the full torque spec for the pulley or they reused the old bolt... But what is the case for you?

Sorry to see that happen, that must have been a pain to deal with.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

You think if it was the stock pulley it woulda flew off? Probaly not... did you install it or did you take it somewhere?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What Pro Stock John said: Did you reuse the crank bolt ? IF you did, then what happened was supposed to happen....
Old 05-18-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

that belt squeaking you refered to was the pully coming off the crank ... i know i had it for a few days ... thought it was my PS pump or something but I looked down noticed the ASP was coming off the crank... tightened it backup no more squeak... for all that read this... ASSUME the squeak is your pulley coming off first... check the bolt for tightness !
Old 05-18-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, it could have been worse. A buddy of mine had his come off while at the track. He was at about the 1/8 mile mark when his came off, but he didn't manage to run over his. His hit the ground, bounced up and cracked his oil pan. After that, the pulley was spinning so fast it jumped off the track and was never seen again.

So with that said, things could have been worse.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'd also like to hear how you installed the pulley. The pulley appears to be mostly intact, I am assuming the bolt came out or snapped?

Dope
Old 05-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

or it could have been like mine. Im the guy from texas whose pulley flew off. I was right in the middle of a race with a gsxr 1000 when at about 130 or so the pulley decides to chunk itself off. Took out my oil pan, driveshaft, and left rear Nitto in the process before it bounced out the back. When i checked the bolt was broken off inside the crank Called up Lee @ASP and he has volunteered to replace it (the pulley) thought im not really sure i want to reinstall one
Old 05-18-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

It was tightened down correctly it just broke. Talked to LEE at ASP also and they are going to replace the pulley. BTW: new crank pulley also.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stangkillin99ss
or it could have been like mine. Im the guy from texas whose pulley flew off. I was right in the middle of a race with a gsxr 1000 when at about 130 or so the pulley decides to chunk itself off. Took out my oil pan, driveshaft, and left rear Nitto in the process before it bounced out the back. When i checked the bolt was broken off inside the crank Called up Lee @ASP and he has volunteered to replace it (the pulley) thought im not really sure i want to reinstall one
well one way or the other if the bolt broke off or backed out it really sounds like user error in most cases.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by foff667
well one way or the other if the bolt broke off or backed out it really sounds like user error in most cases.

Are you just retarded? How do you get a "USER ERROR"? This aint a computer where when they mess up its mostly because of a "user virus," This is a part that i had installed (i didnt do it myself) correctly by the dealership. What did i punch the gas at the wrong time or could it have possibly been i am making too much power and its my fault that the materials i paid good money for failed

Some people have nothing better to do that add useless comments to an otherwise great thread
Old 05-18-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

I've heard alot about the pulleys falling off if they were not tq'd right. Dont' worry you will pass this hump. Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by stangkillin99ss
Are you just retarded? How do you get a "USER ERROR"? This aint a computer where when they mess up its mostly because of a "user virus," This is a part that i had installed (i didnt do it myself) correctly by the dealership. What did i punch the gas at the wrong time or could it have possibly been i am making too much power and its my fault that the materials i paid good money for failed

Some people have nothing better to do that add useless comments to an otherwise great thread
well ya know how often bolts grade 8 bolts just snap in two when under so much stress of getting spun in a circle lol no need for name calling Im just stating the truth...most of the time if a bolt backs out its because of the reasons listen, not being tq'd or reusing the old bolt...if yours snapped off why would that be?
Old 05-18-2004, 12:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by HC02SS
It was tightened down correctly it just broke. Talked to LEE at ASP also and they are going to replace the pulley. BTW: new crank pulley also.
so your bolt broke too? Was it the stock bolt being reused or a new one? Just seems odd becasue it wouldnt seem this bolt is under that much stress unless it werent tq'd down right.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you did not install the pulley yourself, you can only assume it was installed correctly. I know people who work at dealerships that use shortcuts all the time rather than following proper install procedures mostly to save them some time.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Since you did not install the pulley yourself, you can only assume it was installed correctly. I know people who work at dealerships that use shortcuts all the time rather than following proper install procedures mostly to save them some time.
like reusing TTY bolts