Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regarding coolant...is it the higher the concentration the cooler the engine runs?

Old 06-13-2014, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got some Dexcool %100 concentration I'm looking to put it after a flush and drain but I'm confused as to what dilution/concentration to go with, %50 or %70.

Engine is stock LS1 with quite a bit of miles on it.

Thing I would like to know is (my question basically)... is the higher the concentration the faster or more it cools the engine, working more like coolant? Hence good in very hot weather. Or is it the other way around, the higher the concentration the faster it warms the engine, working more like antifreeze? Hence good in very cold weather.

Last edited by Freefallin; 06-13-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

The best cooling comes from plain water. And that can be improved a little bit with a surfactant like Water Wetter or Purple Ice.

I run 25% antifreeze for the lubricant and anti-corrosion properties, and a bottle of Water Wetter. But my car is rarely exposed to temps<0*.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

water will cool better, but water also boils and freezes quicker than coolant, so unless its only a drag car, some coolant is needed, I run ~33% coolant but I'm in LA so temps don't see freezing much, although this year we had lots of snow and ice
Old 06-13-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
water will cool better, but water also boils and freezes quicker than coolant, so unless its only a drag car, some coolant is needed, I run ~33% coolant but I'm in LA so temps don't see freezing much, although this year we had lots of snow and ice
The average temp is 115 here around this time a year. Coldest it gets is 83 and that's for like a month or two a year, and then its back in the oven.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Antifreeze has a much higher specific gravity than water, so heat transfer is reduced. The only reasons for antifreeze are to keep water from freezing, and provide anti corrosive agents. You don't need to worry about freezing and some of the surfactants have the anti corrosive agents. You still need to use deionized water in either case.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Freefallin
The average temp is 115 here around this time a year. Coldest it gets is 83 and that's for like a month or two a year, and then its back in the oven.
I wouldn't use more than 25% antifreeze, and a bottle of surfactant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Regarding coolant...is it the higher the concentration the cooler the engine runs?