Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using March Perf Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone using March Perf Pulley?

Is anyone using the new March Performance fluid filled pulley?

If so, what are the results? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

I want to know too!! TTT for ya!
Old 05-20-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SEARCH!!!! I heard the March weighs more than the stock, but offers better crankshaft vibration dampening. Thats it in a nutshell.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:31 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
SEARCH!!!! I heard the March weighs more than the stock, but offers better crankshaft vibration dampening. Thats it in a nutshell.
I did search and all I found was a bunch of talk about the weight - what I wanna see are the results - track times/dyno numbers before and after and compared to ASP.

Everyone seemed stuck on the weight issue - which, because it is full of fluid, isn't as much of an issue as they think.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:06 AM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any track results, or any dyno #'s. But what I do know is that they have spent alot of time making sure that it will do what they say it will. They claim you will gain 12hp, & since it is a fluid damper it will not affect any of the knock sensors & loose power. I have these in stock ready to ship if any one is interested. I ordered 5 of them for stock when they first came out & had them sold within a few days. I have not had any feedback from my past customers, but sometimes no news is good news!

KJ
Old 05-21-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

How much are they? Can I get it with bolt and belts?
Old 05-21-2004, 10:29 PM
wrencher

I have the pulley & alternator pulley.
No problems the car runs great, no issues with knock (seen others B-4) or with charging.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just weighed the March pulley and the stocker. They are both 11 lbs, give or take. The mass belonging to the March is situated closer to its center due to it being a smaller pulley. Conversely, most of the mass of the stocker is found on its outer hub which is farther away from its center than the March product. The way I am considering this, provided that the mass in each pulley is perfectly balanced, it will take more energy to accelerate the mass which is furthest from the center hub (stock unit). It also will require more energy to slow the mass which is further from the hub (stock unit).
In addition, the theory behind the March or any other underdrive pulley, is to move the mass of the pulley at a slower RATE than the stock pulley. The cumulative result is less weight over TIME.
You might consider the above by relating it to a battery in the engine compartment. As the battery is placed more forward (away from the center of the car) its weight factor becomes more of an issue.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Interesting...what would to say to the thought that the March pulley is fluid filled, which contributes much to the weight. But when you rev the engine, the fluid doesn't move, for the most part. An analogy would by water in a cup, if you turn the cup, the liquid will generally not move...

Originally Posted by gMAG
I just weighed the March pulley and the stocker. They are both 11 lbs, give or take. The mass belonging to the March is situated closer to its center due to it being a smaller pulley. Conversely, most of the mass of the stocker is found on its outer hub which is farther away from its center than the March product. The way I am considering this, provided that the mass in each pulley is perfectly balanced, it will take more energy to accelerate the mass which is furthest from the center hub (stock unit). It also will require more energy to slow the mass which is further from the hub (stock unit).
In addition, the theory behind the March or any other underdrive pulley, is to move the mass of the pulley at a slower RATE than the stock pulley. The cumulative result is less weight over TIME.
You might consider the above by relating it to a battery in the engine compartment. As the battery is placed more forward (away from the center of the car) its weight factor becomes more of an issue.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just ordered one from Thunder.

Supposedly, the fitment issues have been resolved ...
Old 05-23-2004, 12:15 AM
9 Second Club

Interesting...what would to say to the thought that the March pulley is fluid filled, which contributes much to the weight. But when you rev the engine, the fluid doesn't move, for the most part. An analogy would by water in a cup, if you turn the cup, the liquid will generally not move...
That's a fact - the weight is not really an issue. I was just wondering if the claims of 12.5 HP have been seen by anyone and do the dyno graphs not have the dip that some others have (due to knock sensors being effected). I try not to buy parts till I've seen some real world results.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

So nobody has ever dynod the March pulley??
Old 05-24-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Time to call in the engineers! (sound the cavalry!) If you take that same cup of water and suddenly give it side thrust in one direction, the water will temporarily stay where it is. (fluid filled March). This also applies to misfire, or other internal vibrations. Circular inertia keeps the ring of fluid constant until vibration acts on the ring. The mass of the fluid (which is separate from the mass of the metal ring) is the counterbalance to the forces of vibration.
It'd be interesting to know the range of its counterbalancing effects.
Is the March also meant to compensate for mild weight imbalances in the rotating assembly?
Old 05-24-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I believe that the only reason to buy the March pulley is it's ability to reduce vibrations in the crank. Other than that, I can't really find any benefits of it over the ASP pulley. As far as I'm concerend, they are dead even with benefits/faults, and it would be up to how much you want to pay.

Anyone agree/disagree?
Old 05-24-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well considering the few places I have seen both of them sold, the March pulley has been less expensive. AND!!! As of this morning, Thunder is selling a March kit WITH belts, cheaper than it is selling the ASP pulley by itself.
So you do the math.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

TTT
Old 05-25-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I should be getting mine this week. Couldnt beat the deal from Thunder for the kit.