Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a strange grinding noise (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a strange grinding noise (video inside)

http://youtu.be/kWePDO6eKGY Hey guys, any idea what this "grinding" sound could be? It started 5 miles into an ls7 clutch break in; new parts put in were clutch/pressure plate, flywheel, throw out bearing, pilot bearing. My first thought was that it had to be related to the clutch job, and I thought maybe I didn't tighten down the slave cylinder tight enough when I put that back on and the shim developed a rattle after a few miles of driving. However it honestly sounds like it's coming more from around the area of the crank pulley now that I'm underneath it. In the video I pulled the serp belt off to see if it was one of the other pulleys, as you can see it wasn't. What else should I look into/how should I further diagnose this? Thanks in advance!
Edit: the sound at the end of the video when I put it in gear is the rear tires rubbing (since it's jacked up). I was trying to demonstrate that the sound sticks around even with the clutch disengaging and re-engaging.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the air gap on the AC compressor clutch?

Last edited by wav3form; 06-28-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Edit: In your video it looks like the AC belt is still on so Wav3form may be onto something. Try turning the AC on and see if the noise stops or changes.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 06-28-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

That's definitely it. The noise goes away when the A/C is turned on. Excuse me for being ignorant, but what do I have to do to fix this so that it doesnt grind while the A/C isnt in use? Is it one of the A/C pulleys that needs to be replaced? Or is the current one adjustable? (I just searched and there were only a few threads on here about the a/c air gap and none of them really explained how to adjust/fix it.) Thanks in advance!
Old 06-29-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took mine to a shop to have the gap adjusted. I'm not sure if it's a press fit or if there are shims involved. Check youtube, there are some vids on there that show how to adjust the gap.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

its the compressor clutch,i have the same problem, i never fixed it but i know thats defiantly it. heres another thread about it
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ook-right.html

Quick Reply: Help with a strange grinding noise (video inside)