Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on ONLY getting a Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on ONLY getting a Y-Pipe

So my car's "Service Engine Soon" light is on, and I already scanned the code, forget the code number, but it's for the cats, basically they are probably clogged and need to be replaced. However, cats seem to be pretty expensive, so here is my question.

Can I just get an offroad Y-pipe and throw it on under there as a fix to this? I currently have the SLP LM1 exhaust system on, but that's it as far as exhaust goes. I don't need emissions checks in my state.

IF possible, I want to get a cheap Y-pipe, but one that is still good, I hope to add headers to the car in the near future and want the headers to fit whatever offroad Y-pipe I throw on.

So is this feasible? Fix the clogged cats by just throwing on an offroad Y?
Old 06-28-2014, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your cats are clogged you should notice diminished performance do to poor exhaust flow. Your SES light doesn't necessarily mean you cats are clogged but that they aren't reducing your emissions sufficiently. Also a y-pipe that fits stock manifolds will not fit LT headers, and shorty headers are a waist of time and money.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fry_
If your cats are clogged you should notice diminished performance do to poor exhaust flow. Your SES light doesn't necessarily mean you cats are clogged but that they aren't reducing your emissions sufficiently. Also a y-pipe that fits stock manifolds will not fit LT headers, and shorty headers are a waist of time and money.
Okay. Well I guess step two is to save up enough money and get long tubes and offroad y at the same time. That'll fix the SES light I'd think.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i just had mine gutted. but they were high flows.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bill Smoke
Okay. Well I guess step two is to save up enough money and get long tubes and offroad y at the same time. That'll fix the SES light I'd think.
you will still have the SES because heasers get rid of stock cats entirely unless you add aftermarket ones, which you dont need. You could use O2 simulators to trick the CPU in thinking theres cats, that will get rid of the SES, or just have them tuned out, which is the way most people go. But if your cats are clogged your performance will suffer.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Launching!

I bet your cat isn't clogged... it is starting to break apart. If it as clogged then you would feel a loss in performance. Plus I had a clogged cat once on my pickup and it never threw a cat inefficiency code. My T/A does though because the drives cat has failed. You can sometimes actually hear it rattle. LTs and ORY will fix me up when I get around to it. Check out the headers offered by Speed Engineering. They are all stainless and dirt cheap!
Old 07-02-2014, 12:51 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're convinced to just get an off road y-pipe, I believe Dynomax/Walker is the only game in town for that.

Personally, I'd just go with the Speed Engineering long tubes and call it a day. You will, however, need a tune.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

This^
Old 07-03-2014, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by demonspeed
If you're convinced to just get an off road y-pipe, I believe Dynomax/Walker is the only game in town for that.

Personally, I'd just go with the Speed Engineering long tubes and call it a day. You will, however, need a tune.
Why would you need a tune if you get speed engineering long tubes?
Old 07-03-2014, 11:04 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by paradigmGT
Why would you need a tune if you get speed engineering long tubes?
You'll want a tune no matter which brand of headers. To be honest, the car will still run "fine" without a tune, but to take advantage of the new exhaust, a tune is absolutely recommended. The most affordable are mail order. I personally went with a non-sponsor who is analogous to cold weather
Old 07-04-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I never noticed "frozen condensation" wasn't a sponsor.

Quick Reply: Question on ONLY getting a Y-Pipe