Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak... will it hurt anything?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak... will it hurt anything?

YES, i have done a search but i haven't found the answer i am looking for..

my b/f just got through installing the Pacesetter headers and Y-pipe, it was banging, but he fixed the problem yesterday...

well today i drive it to work and when i am excelerating, i hear this noise, i can't describe it, but i am pretty sure it is an exhaust leak...

my b/f put on the paper gaskets that came with the Pacesetters instead of reusing the metal stock ones, and one of our friends said that those will give with time anyways, and they are pretty crappy...

but anyways, my question is, will an exhaust leak hurt anything? performance wise or hurt something on the car? thanks for the advice in advance
Old 05-19-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had an exhaust leak where the gasket came apart and it caused valve damage from sucking in cold air. I would get it fixed ASAP
Old 05-19-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrhawk
I had an exhaust leak where the gasket came apart and it caused valve damage from sucking in cold air. I would get it fixed ASAP
im not driving the car tomorrow and my b/f will fix it tomorrow, well he SAYS he will fix it tomorrow

thanks for the info...
Old 05-19-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

definitely get it fixed if the leak is at the head. use metal gaskets
Old 05-19-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turo
definitely get it fixed if the leak is at the head. use metal gaskets
i can really pinpoint where the leak is coming from at this point because i am going strictly by sound... it SOUNDS like it is coming from under the hood, but im not really sure as sound can be deceiving...

so we will find out tomorrow hopefully...
Old 05-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

hey try to describe the sound, i just put the pacesetters headers,ypipe and i am hearing new sounds as well. plz post back with that sound.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skeetersws6
hey try to describe the sound, i just put the pacesetters headers,ypipe and i am hearing new sounds as well. plz post back with that sound.
i might sound stupid describing it, but when i push on the gas while i am accelerating, i hear like a pppssssssshhhhh sound... (not like pppsssssttt sound like on those turbo eclipses or anything) again, its hard to desribe the sound, but it is like it is pushing air out of somewhere...
Old 05-19-2004, 10:31 PM

Yes, a leak will cause problems. You can wind up with burnt valves. Your exhaust gas temps will get high, causing your sensors to misread, and misadjust. It's a chain reaction, one thing has an effect on the other, all the way down the line. Always use the metal header gaskets. The paper ones are crap, and save the manufacturer money on his end, but they cost you a ton in the long run.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sawedoff
Yes, a leak will cause problems. You can wind up with burnt valves. Your exhaust gas temps will get high, causing your sensors to misread, and misadjust. It's a chain reaction, one thing has an effect on the other, all the way down the line. Always use the metal header gaskets. The paper ones are crap, and save the manufacturer money on his end, but they cost you a ton in the long run.
that is the VERY first thing our friend told me when i was telling him about this... he said take those damn paper things off and put back on the metal ones... he said if anything, it will save time in the long run because they will get ruined sooner or later..
Old 05-19-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, my girlfriend say you should use the stock GM metal gaskets. She really says that.. Yeah, she really did.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, i heard those paper ones were crap. I just reused the old stock ones and havent had a leak yet at the manifold. But i got one of Pacesetters crappy Y-pipes and it ticks where it goes into the I-pipe due to a small pitch in the Y. Good luck though.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Generally an exhaust leak will cause a ticking sound. If you're hearing air being pushed, it must be a huge leak. Maybe you're just not used to the extra air moving through the exhaust.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Go FasTA
Generally an exhaust leak will cause a ticking sound. If you're hearing air being pushed, it must be a huge leak. Maybe you're just not used to the extra air moving through the exhaust.
no thats not it at all... i have driven many f-bodies with new headers and all, and nothing like that...

maybe its not an exhaust leak, maybe it is a huge one... hopefully i will know by tomorrow

but my b/f and his friend drove it and they definatly heard something... so after he gets off work tomorrow he is gonna pinpoint it

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak... will it hurt anything?