Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning oil. PCV setup the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Burning oil. PCV setup the problem?

Hello everyone!

I finished a LS 5.3/4l80E swap into a 1997 Camaro SS a few months ago, and I've been blowing a little bit of bluish/white smoke during hard accelerations. I did a leak down test to see if the junk yard 5.3 was bad, but everything was great and none of the cylinders lost more then 4%.

I pulled the air intake to see if there was any oil in the intake and there was quite a bit. I'm sure I hooked up the PCV system incorrectly. I plugged the driver side rear valve cover, put a breather where the oil cap would be, and connected what I think is the clean air from the throttle body to the passenger valve cover.

I should have just went with a catch can from the start, but i thought this would get me by until i went turbo in the future. I'm going to be driving the car N/A for awhile, so I would like to fix this problem. Any input is helpful! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Burning oil.  PCV setup the problem?-photo_5-1-.jpg   Burning oil.  PCV setup the problem?-valve-cover-breather.jpg   Burning oil.  PCV setup the problem?-valve-cover-s.jpg   Burning oil.  PCV setup the problem?-clean-air.jpg  

Last edited by johnminer; 07-04-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added another photo
Old 07-04-2014, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to set it up correctly...

Get rid of breather in oil fill cap. Put PCV valve in rear of driver side valve cover (get a grommet that fits the hole in the cover & has a hole to put the PCV valve (grommet that looks like a doughnut). Then run a hose from PCV to the vacuum port on front of intake berhind throttle body on driver side. Put an air filter in this new hose you just ran. The PCV is now properly set up & the in-line air filter will help to catch oil headed toward the intake. The line from TB to passenger side valve cover should come from the TB, not the intake. The upper passenger side port on TB is the filtered & measured fresh air port.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

LS1-450 thanks for the reply. I will pickup a catch can and route it appropriately, to bad I wasted money on that oil cap air filter. HAHAHAHA.

Any suggestions on getting a catch can that will work while i'm still N/A and with boost in the future? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2014, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by johnminer
LS1-450 thanks for the reply. I will pickup a catch can and route it appropriately, to bad I wasted money on that oil cap air filter. HAHAHAHA.

Any suggestions on getting a catch can that will work while i'm still N/A and with boost in the future? Thanks!
IMO, any catch can is fine. BTW, in my initial replay, stated in-line air filter; meant to say in-line fuel filter. You should include an in-line fuel filter between the catch can & the vacuum port on the intake, as well. It will catch the oil in the mist that leaves the catch can.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

i like that idea with the in-line fuel filter
Old 07-05-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
IMO, any catch can is fine. BTW, in my initial replay, stated in-line air filter; meant to say in-line fuel filter. You should include an in-line fuel filter between the catch can & the vacuum port on the intake, as well. It will catch the oil in the mist that leaves the catch can.
Here is my $3 autozone catch can setup. I didn't want the in line style, this version dumps the oil into the bottom of the cup and then pulls the air up through the top. Working well just swap it out after an oil change

Old 07-06-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Here is my $3 autozone catch can setup. I didn't want the in line style, this version dumps the oil into the bottom of the cup and then pulls the air up through the top. Working well just swap it out after an oil change

That's a good alternative & holds more oil. Although, the in-line fuel filter operates the same way. Oil drops to the bottom (bottom being the side because the filter is mounted horizontally) as air continues on to the intake.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the replies. The fuel filter in the return line from the catch can seems like a great idea. I like that homemade setup too!

The last two weekends I went to the drag strip I lost about a 1/2 quart of oil after only 5-6 runs. Hopefully this solves the oil consumption issue, or at least slows it down. I'll report back after I get something installed.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

A Mighty Mouse can with the check valve routed correctly works wonders and will prevent boost from entering crankcase when you turbo.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johnminer
Thanks for all the replies. The fuel filter in the return line from the catch can seems like a great idea. I like that homemade setup too!

The last two weekends I went to the drag strip I lost about a 1/2 quart of oil after only 5-6 runs. Hopefully this solves the oil consumption issue, or at least slows it down. I'll report back after I get something installed.
Its actually a generic fuel filter sold at autozone. They also sell clear versions but not in the 3/8 size fittings

Quick Reply: Burning oil. PCV setup the problem?