Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roaming Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roaming Idle?

Alright, heres my basic setup for background. High-flow lid, ported maf, maft-t, smooth bellows, stock intake, block, headers, aftermarket cat-back. I tuned it up, it ran great. Today before work I started up my car and it couldn't find an idle speed. It roamed up and down between about 600rpm and 1200rpm. I immediately shut it off cause I didn't know what was going on. Yanked the maf-t and it worked fine. So my biggest question is why now? I think it has something to do with my battery because I was making a custom cover and removed it to measure and pattern and all that. So I guess I'm just wondering does disconnecting the battery reset the programming or something? I don't understand why disconecting the battery and reconnecting it would affect the maf-t and maf readings.... and the car ran beautifully with that setup for....... 8 months or so, in hot and cold weather........ I'm confused.........
Old 05-20-2004, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

ttt. any ideas?
Old 05-21-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be idle relearn. I never had issues with that on my stock (cam) setup.. but have heard of a few doing that..
Old 05-21-2004, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

idle relearn? is that just the computer trying to figure out where idle is? The only thing I could think was that disconecting the battery erased some of the learned programming or something.... It scared the hell out of me tho.....
Old 05-22-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by White2kTA
idle relearn? is that just the computer trying to figure out where idle is?
Basically, yes. Should get better with a few miles on it.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:34 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Ditto, if the battery was disconnected for 5+ minutes or so, it will reset the PCM. Sometimes it will have to relearn things, but it's usually not a problem with a bolt on car. Drive it for a few miles, idle should be figured out somewhat quickly. In all reality it can take up to 250 miles for the computer to totally relearn everything.