Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header bolts and gasket?

Old 08-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header bolts and gasket?

I just picked up a used pair of headers for my 2000 ss. I wanted to get some nice new bolts but I wanted to make sure I order the right size and if there is a brand I should get. Also on the gaskets should I just get a new stock pair or should I get another brand?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the exhaust gaskets, get whatever O'Reilly or Autozone has for your car in Fel-Pro brand. They should have a metallic facing on both sides and probably better quality than stock anyway.

For the bolts, search would do you well but here is a shortcut for you:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...what-size.html

After going through the hassle of breaking off the $@&#! driver side REARMOST bolt and pulling that head just to get the remainder out, I decided to go with studs. Still they could break from exhaust heat cycling/flex/stress/etc. but hopefully at least wont break off just from me removing them next time. Apparently ARP sells such a thing but I bought some no-name kit from a guy on eBay. Stuff looks pretty good. I got stainless and paid about $30. Hopefully they hold up over time.

You can never go wrong with ARP though..you just pay for it.

Good luck.
Chris
Old 08-06-2014, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I would recommend going with stock GM multi layer steel (MLS) gaskets. As stated above, there are plenty of options for the bolts. Studs would be nice if you don't mind spending the cash, some like stage 8 locking bolts, some reuse the stock bolts...
Old 08-06-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reused the stock gaskets and went with stainless Allen studs with stainless flanged nuts that were serrated to prevent backing off.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:06 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I used these nice studs from Dorman and some nice nuts & washers:

Old 08-07-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Just wanted to mention one more thing; the cheapie kit I bought did include female allen heads as well as the serrated nuts.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:16 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Another vote for GM gaskets. I'd also definitely go with studs. I bought stainless "no-name" studs off eBay. They were from seller "alper motorsports" and something like $30.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

@demonspeed - yep, that's the same seller I bought from. Look really nice; should have them installed this weekend.

Are you planning to use some sort of thread locker to install them or?

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mercier
Are you planning to use some sort of thread locker to install them or? Thanks.
As in loctite? I would think the heat would make it a real pain getting out the next time you were to mess with it. If anything anti seize on the studs due to the dissimilar metals (stainless stud in an aluminum head)?
Old 08-08-2014, 11:36 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I put some thread locker on mine -- just a drop -- because I did not want to deal with them backing out at all.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Kinda what I was thinking.. Don't want these to come out.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I haven't used a header gasket in years. Nothing but high temp copper based silicone. I'v never had a gasket failure. I use standard small hex head header bolts, nothing fancy. The silicone works like a thread locker, and they never come loose.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

The instructions that came with my headers insisted on this(no gasket) but I didn't feel comfortable until I got the studs. Now I may go back with silicone. Without studs, I saw a big mess in my future while getting it all lined up and the bolts in.

Just a small ring around each port on the head or what?

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, just a small ring around each port, AND a small ring around each bolt hole. That way you're torquing against a relatively flat surface. You also want to get some of the silicone on the bolt threads - that helps prevent loosening.

Get two bolts the same size as the header/exhaust bolt, maybe a little bit longer. Cut the head off, and then cut a screwdriver slot in the end. Screw them into the head like a stud, just 1-2 turns. You can hang the header on those studs while you get the bolts started. Then remove the alignment stud and replace with a bolt when you're ready.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Yep. My father taught me that trick a long time ago and I forgot! Definitely makes it a lot easier. All studs now so hoping the trouble is behind me.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:44 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Never thought about the ultra copper stuff for a header gasket. Considering that the OE MLS gaskets are like $10 for the pair, I'm not sure I see the benefit, though. I only say this within the context that if you remove the header, you'll be cleaning up the residue. With the gasket, it's as easy as putting new ones in (or reusing if they're not old; the OE gaskets are very good).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Header bolts and gasket?