Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short on cash; But must get louder!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Short on cash; But must get louder!!!

So obviously i've come to the conclusion of cut-outs, my dad put a mechanical set in his vette and they are such a hassle but he only spent the 50 bux on the set. I'm lookin into what everyone seems to reccomend from previous threads which are the QTP w/ QTEC switch. I have a few questions that i couldnt find answers for though. 1. Will i need O2 sims and if so, can i get a run-down on how to install them and what exactly they do? 2. I'm leaning towards getting 2, mount them right after the headers, before the stock ypipe, and yes i have the stock manifolds still on the car. 3. Is it ok to do this w/ stock manifold/ypipe? and stock is 2.25 or 2.5"?? 4. I want to eventaully save up for QTP LT's and Catted y-pipe, are cutouts worth the $350 for the next year or so until i can afford the Lt's/ ypipe or should i just wait all together for a whole year and put the 350 bux towards the Lts?? Thanks all, any responses will help a ton.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:19 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you wont need o2 sims, there only if you remove your rear o2 sensors. and if you ever do need them all you do is simpy plug them into the connector. they trick the pcm into thinking the o2 sensors are still plugged in so it doesnt set off a code. are you sure there is even room on the stock Y for dual cutouts? stock SS diameter is 2.75". i would just get a single cut out in the i-pipe being your still on stock manifolds and Y. yes cut outs are worth it, though like i already stated i'd stick with the single in the I-pipe.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
you wont need o2 sims, there only if you remove your rear o2 sensors. and if you ever do need them all you do is simpy plug them into the connector. they trick the pcm into thinking the o2 sensors are still plugged in so it doesnt set off a code. are you sure there is even room on the stock Y for dual cutouts? stock SS diameter is 2.75". i would just get a single cut out in the i-pipe being your still on stock manifolds and Y. yes cut outs are worth it, though like i already stated i'd stick with the single in the I-pipe.
Forgot to state i have Loudmouth catback. How would i find out if there was enough room? I was under the impression that i would just have to cut a few inches off the y to fit the cut out in anyways? If i do put only one in the I pipe, where exactly is this? Is the I the LM catback pipe that i put in? In other words right after the cats in between the y and the catback?? Thanks
Old 05-22-2004, 10:35 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
Forgot to state i have Loudmouth catback. How would i find out if there was enough room? I was under the impression that i would just have to cut a few inches off the y to fit the cut out in anyways? If i do put only one in the I pipe, where exactly is this? Is the I the LM catback pipe that i put in? In other words right after the cats in between the y and the catback?? Thanks
since you have LM i wouldnt even bother with a cutout, LM is one of the top flowing and loudest catbacks out there so i doubt you'll gain much w/ the cutout. save the money toward the QTP's.

to answer your question though the I-pipe is the piece of the pipe that connects the Y with the over the axel tubing.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
since you have LM i wouldnt even bother with a cutout, LM is one of the top flowing and loudest catbacks out there so i doubt you'll gain much w/ the cutout. save the money toward the QTP's.

to answer your question though the I-pipe is the piece of the pipe that connects the Y with the over the axel tubing.
Ok i see now...so the LM is good for flow, but how about in the way of noise? Thats mainly what i'm looking for at this point. It is loud, but i want louder. Will it help at all or not help to the point were it makes 200 bux worth it?
Old 05-22-2004, 10:53 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

you can always gut your cats. its free and you'll be louder. i personally dont like that sound but its just another option. LM sounds great on stock manifolds and Y, i'd keep it as is.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It ain't gonna get much louder while still on the stock manifolds & cats with the loudmouth... that is the loudest exhaust note you can have while being stock from the cats forward. Once you get headers on there though, it'll get REAL loud with that loudmouth.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
you can always gut your cats. its free and you'll be louder. i personally dont like that sound but its just another option. LM sounds great on stock manifolds and Y, i'd keep it as is.

yea, i guess i'll put it on the back burner for now then, thanks.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutouts Are Worth The $

Try the cutouts -- you WILL get sound no matter what else you have on the ride -- NOW YOU HAVE A CHOICE OF CUTOUTS --- Take a look at www.streetpro.us ---- first class product with a FULL 1 year warranty !