Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC replacement coming...parts list?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC replacement coming...parts list?

Two birds with one stone thread.

Planning to do a A/C compressor replacement in one of the weekends to come in both the Z28 and the Blazer. My Brother-N-Law is helping since he has all the Professional A/C tools to vacuum the system and recharge it. What I am unsure of is what all I need to buy at a minimum to get this done.

The Blazer is still sealed and gauges show full and it is cooling properly, but the compressor Started making a horrible ticking noise. Damn near sounds like a diesel with the A/C on. I have only ran it about a minute or two since it started the noise so my B-n-l could hear it and he sad the compressor is close to going out (bent rod maybe he said..or bent something on the inside), but seems together so not to run it anymore to make sure it doesn't blow chunks into the system. I'm thinking here I need the following:

I have the A/C Compressor a buddy took off of his Blazer during a totaled vehicle part out. Said it worked great up until the vehicle was gone.
I figure a New Dryer and some seals/O rings. Looking at Rock Auto, I am not sure what seals I need to get or if anything else. I also assume this is all for the dryer (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...774&cc=1371440)

As for the Z, the Compressor has the fatal leak at the compressor seams that seems to have affected so many LS1 A/C Compressors. If you refill it it will blow cold for a day and then it's all leaked out again. This thing went out in 2008/2009 and I just haven't bothered with having A/C since. I have decided I would like it back. I picked up a used compressor from someone, have debating on going remain or something and eating the money lost on this one, but not sure. The screen on it has some debris on it, not sure how to clean that out. Looks more like debris from being in a garage or wrapped in a terry cloth or something.

Anyway, I figure the same New Dryer and O rings.

So is there anything else I should look at getting? I want to have what I can from Rock Auto instead of running to Auto Zone when my B-n-L returns from vaca to help me tear into this these things.

Also both compressors have been in my Garage for several years now (one as a free just in case, the other was in planning to do for a while), any prep work I need to look out for on these to start?

If you are bored and want to build a Part number list from Rock Auto on what all you would get that would be awesome.

My list so far (ignore the shocks):
Old 08-21-2014, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

My suggestion is compressor, condenser, and drier/accumulator. And throw in an orifice tube for good measure. Use about 2 ozs of oil per component replaced and blow the lines out good while they are apart. An o ring kit wouldn't hurt either.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

^ Agree with the above but you probably can get by without replacing the condenser unless it's known to leak or be clogged. I'll add that I wouldn't bother with undertaking the job - especially on the LS1 car - without all new components. A compressor with visible grime in it that's been sitting for years? Again, why bother?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have never serviced my AC on my personal car. 3 engines and I've always kept the AC intact during all work. Now, recently I installed an aluminum radiator. While I had the old one out I decided to blow the OEM condensor out (with compressed air). Wow, the amount of crap that was lodged in it was crazy. I doubt I got it all and I took my time, half hour I'd reckon. Also, its a prime place for compressor bits to accumulate after a failure. Also, they aren't expensive, less then $100. 3 good reasons to replace it.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I may go ahead and get another Compressor for the Z. The blazer is getting sold next year sometime, I just want AC until at least then...

Quick Reply: AC replacement coming...parts list?