Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best cutout?

Old 08-22-2014, 06:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What is the best cutout?

What is the best cutouts you can get? I really thought QTP was the best, but I have had nothing but problems with mine, ordered new parts over and over again, and their customer serviced flat out sucked.

I really need a good system for my car and wanted to know if there is another company I am missing that I should be going with.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've always heard that QTP was the best as well
Old 08-22-2014, 07:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a QTP and it has been doing fine, but DMH makes a better cutout. It will last longer. Simply because the DMH opens fast and stops on its own, while the QTP opens until the motor itself bogs down and cant open any farther.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

That's funny. I've had nothing but problems with DMH and nothing but success with QTP. My car came with a 3" DMH with the motor falling out of it. As in literally, falling out, flailing around. Sent it in and they replaced the entire unit, no problem. But it kept happening. It WASN'T hitting the body nor was I holding the button to long. No idea what the guy is talking about with the DMH "stops on it's own".. I mean, the butterfly hits the flange and stops.. Just like anything else.. Every time i sent it in, it took longer and longer to come back. Seriously, it would last maybe 4 opening/closings before it failed. The most recent time it took 11 months! Calling and emailing regularly. I just gave up and ordered a QTP. Haven't looked back since. QTP has a beefier mount/flange, motor, better connector, hell, even the switch and connector is better. DMH has a better warranty but QTP doesn't need it. ha!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

i run one from pypes. Havent had any problems so far.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Doesn't sound like any good answers yet. I have a connector issue, and have gone through 3 different plates before my QTP plates got bent. The company won't warranty them claiming it's the car not running right and not their system. At any rate for the short period of time I have had this QTP system, and the $75 worth of extra plates I have gone through along with the company not standing by their product and hassling me, I am to the giving up point with QTP.

The problem is I have no good solution. This is for my supercharged Camaro in my sig, and the exhaust makes a very big difference. Open the exhaust up, and I get 700+ RWHP to the tires. But it is so rediculously loud that it is not tolerable to drive regularly. I need hearing protection just to drive it at sub highway speeds. It sounds louder than a NASCAR. I force all the exhaust to go through the muffler and it sounds amazing and not too loud, but it restricts the power level to an extreme amount. I have not had it on a dyno to see, but between racing friends in the different exhaust configurations I am guessing it is costing me 60RWHP or more! Which is almost equally not as acceptable. I am very frustrated with the car all over the exhaust/sound/performance issue it is pushing me to the point of contemplating changing the entire engine and FI setup.

At any rate, that's a bit much for something what "Should" be as simple as finding a good cutout that will not fail on me.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
Doesn't sound like any good answers yet. I have a connector issue, and have gone through 3 different plates before my QTP plates got bent. The company won't warranty them claiming it's the car not running right and not their system. At any rate for the short period of time I have had this QTP system, and the $75 worth of extra plates I have gone through along with the company not standing by their product and hassling me, I am to the giving up point with QTP.
What plate is getting bent, and how is that happening?
So far *knock on wood* I have no issues with my QTP cutout, and ive had it for like 5 years.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

The moving plate in the assembly. I've gone through 3. Once it's bent, it does not seal up and it's like having the cutout open full time. I'll post a pic later.

The first one bent from what I believe the car to be "backfiring" when I was having some tuning issues. Once he issues were resolved for the tune, it no longer was backfiring, but it still was bending plates. Again, my car is moving a LOT of air both before the motor but a lot out of the exhaust as well. Much more so than an N/A car. Perhaps this is the reason. The techs at QTP insist it is something wrong with my car and not their product, most likely a good lawyer excuse so they don't have to give me new parts on their dime.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Teching In

I have no personal experience with them, but this is the one I will be going with when I do mine this fall:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-warranty.html
Old 08-24-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
The moving plate in the assembly. I've gone through 3. Once it's bent, it does not seal up and it's like having the cutout open full time. I'll post a pic later.
Thats what I was thinking, but figured no way that the actual plate that seals the cutout closed was getting bent from back pressure, holy crap!
Have you checked what other high hp FI guys are running and if they have similar issues?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like inconsistent quality control all around.. But have you compared installations? How/where is yours routed? Could it be moved further from the motor to reduce failure? If you're close to the exhaust port and EGT is high, you could melt or soften it and bend with less pressure than might otherwise be required to bend.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

i have the summit brand one for 5 years. it still works fine. it rattles but thats cuz the butterfly valve is loose. some of the screws backed out but put some loctite on them any they are fine.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Mercler, they are placed 8" past the headers, and honestly that's the only place they will fit clearance wise. That is right were QTP and my friend recommended they be placed regardless of clearance issues. I don't know why they are failing and don't know that moving them further back would make a difference. In the end, it wouldn't matter if it would cause there isnt room to find out.

Summit brands have known to be of lesser quality and thus why many people have issues with them sealing when closed. At that point I would have no better results than where I am at now.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Understood. Just throwing stuff at the wall. I would have thought that everything else would fail before exhaust pressure would bend the butterfly! I wanted to put a couple.on mine but sounds like a real mixed bag. I may just leave it alone.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My summit cutout broke after like 6 months so I just capped it off. Sounded like **** driving around anyway at part throttle.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

2 1/2 years after sending my DMH in for repair, still haven't received them or a response from them since they got them via UPS. They won't answer the phone, messages, emails, etc. Worse company I've ever dealt with, can't believe they still have a website.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I have installed a few sets of QTP's over the years and had really good luck...

Chris
Old 09-17-2014, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth my qtp e cutout just took a nose dive and it is about 6 months old. Not to mention it has seen less than 1000 miles of use.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

My 4" qtp has been awesome.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had QTP on my '00 Firehawk and worked great. If you didn't hit button twice after closing it'd rattle. But at least it worked and they stand behind their product.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the best cutout?