Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning to install AMW catch can, should I remove the intake manifold and clean it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 11:58 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Planning to install AMW catch can, should I remove the intake manifold and clean it?

Well, the car has almost 62k miles on it and it has never had a catch can on it, however, the intake manifold has roughly 10k miles. (I dont know for sure, Im just guessing) Anyhow, Im sure since the intake manifold has been on there, that it coated with oil inside. I was thinking of removing it and cleaning it out. Do you think this is a good idea and if so, whats the best way to clean it and using what? The car is on down time, so I have plenty of time to mess around with it. What else could I clean before I install the catch can? Has anyone else did this, or is this unecessary? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your cars running fine now I would pass on cleaning the intake, after you install the catch can you should have plenty of clean air going through there to help clean it out for you. JMO

Al
Old 05-22-2004, 01:01 PM
9 Second Club NA

I figured it would take more than air to clean it out and especially since the air intake isnt that high of pressure.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

You may want to try GM top engine cleaner (aerosol can) which is sprayed into the TB with the engine running.

Last edited by gymratt; 05-22-2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
I figured it would take more than air to clean it out and especially since the air intake isnt that high of pressure.
True, but if it's running fine now why go to the trouble and the chance of something getting f---up? Again, just my opinion.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well the car is down and Im waiting on parts before I can do anything, so Im kinda get a little impatient and want to occupy myself with the car. I guess Im just trying to find something else to do to the car. Also, I like my car to be really clean inside and out. Im kinda weird when it comes to my car. When stuff comes out or something goes on new, I have to clean the area that Im working in. So in this case, since I will be installing a catch can and there will be no more oil going into the intake, I want it to be clean in there like it was brand new. I know its not going to pick up any performance or anything, but just the peace of mind that I will have from knowing it will be clean.

Where do I get this GM top engine cleaner? You say you spray it into the throttle body while the engine is running...will the car stay idle/on if the lid, bellow, and MAF are off because I dont see how I would be able to spray it in there will all those parts in front of it. Also, I would have to open the throttle body blade as well to actually spray it in there.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...op+end+cleaner

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...op+end+cleaner

I wont go into a how-to because there are many threads on the proper way with the aerosol or liquid cleaner. Here are two of the many threads on top engine cleaner. Seafoam is a cheaper but apparently just as effective alternative. Regarding spraying into the tb:you can remove the factorybellows+maf+intake as one piece and just put it off slighty to the side so you can hit the tb with the aerosol cleaner. Everbody that has done it was happy with the results. In some cases users have claimed it has eliminated KR issues. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:30 PM
9 Second Club NA

I just changed my oil a few hundred miles ago and I use Royal purple, would I be able to do this procedure with the intake manifold off? Is this cleaner just for the intake or for the internals of the engine? I want to avoid having to change my oil because its fresh and new and I dont want to throw away $30 worth of oil plus a new filter. I dont mind taking off the intake if its just as effective. What do you guys think? Thanks.