Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Air Filter Setup VS Single? Which is better

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Air Filter Setup VS Single? Which is better

I cant figure this out.

If you have two filters vs one, aren't you restricting more air, since the motor has to suck in air through both filters?

Or is it more efficient by having more surface area for air to travel into the motor?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Man
Or is it more efficient by having more surface area for air to travel into the motor?
Less restrictive. Basic example: Try breathing through 1 straw, then try two; larger area, less restriction. As to the engine, MAP will be more stable @ higher RPM.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the analogy.

So around how much power would that add? I'm trying to figure out if I should run just one air filter to the passenger side, or go with two like pictured above. The down side with two is it would look pretty busy, just want to know if it is worth it.

My car has a ls1, big cam and longtubes.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

One large filter would be better than 2 small filters setup like posted above.

If you have 1 filter that flows as much CFM as those 2 small ones, you don't end up with needing to try to get them to merge smoothly.

Also keep in mind, in that setup you posted the system is either MAFless (speed density) or the MAF is going to be put right in that turbulent merge...good luck getting an accurate smooth MAF reading there.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Air filters, even paper ones, are a trivial restriction in
the big picture. So optimizing it isn't a high payback.
I am against oily rag type filters in general, and also
against long runs of metal tubing in engine bay heat
(not mention the filters themselves, taking in engine
bay air).
Old 08-29-2014, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Prefer the 2 filters no noticeable difference in power but sure looks nicer to me. They sit right behind holes in hood so plenty of air Name:  101_1286_zps887a1b01.jpg
Views: 7659
Size:  122.4 KB
Old 08-29-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Less restrictive. Basic example: Try breathing through 1 straw, then try two; larger area, less restriction. As to the engine, MAP will be more stable @ higher RPM.
That may be true as long as 1 filter and 1 intake tube IS a restriction to the engine (as a straw would be restrictive for a human).

If that single setup is perfectly fine, then adding another source of air to introduce more turbulence will only cause problems.

If you had a single 3" intake then adding another 3" intake opposite of it will definitely improve performance. If you had a big 4"+ single intake adding yet another big 4"+ intake on the other side might only introduce more turbulance and not actually produce more power since 1 that size is usually enough.

So OP it really depends on the size of the intake and the engine mods. If a single is good enough to feed it air and maintain good VE then there's no need for another. I find it 1 big intake is usually better and smoother for the air than 2 smaller ones.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

In the case of a 4th gen fbodies, a lid setup with ram air feeding the bottom is the way to go

Really wish I had room to make a setup like that work on my Chevelle without having to swap radiators, hack the core support, etc. That setup gives you a straight shot into the intake of ambient temp air which is much better than sucking air from under the hood and utilizing extra bends in the tract.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Having the 2 filters like that will basically be like running 1 less restrictive filter. With it still end up as a single tube at the throttle body the gains would be minimal. The only true benefits is it looks better. Otherwise I would just run a single tube and put some type of heat barrier aluminum or steel tube.

Quick Reply: Dual Air Filter Setup VS Single? Which is better