Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I put foam strip slp lid with k and n filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Should I put foam strip slp lid with k and n filter?

I got k and n and installed it into the stock air lid in my 02 TA with the supplied foam strip.
I have an SLP lid coming should be here any day now.
Did you guys use the k and n strip with your slp lid? I am not sure can get it out now of the stock lid or maybe will have to go buy some more weatherstripping at home depot or something ?

So who has used this stripping in the slp lid or is it necessary.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:47 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll likely have to wait and see how it seals once you receive it. I'd just go to any hardware/home improvement store and pick up some weather strip if you have any sealing problems.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just dropped in the filter and put on the SLP lid and ran with it. Looks like it seals just fine to me.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd sell the K&N on craigslist and put a paper filter back on. K&N's don't filter very good and aren't really worth much HP.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I needed the foam strip to seal the rear of my lid. When you install the lid, take a flashlight and look at the backside closest to the engine. You'll be able to see if it's sealing or not.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
I'd sell the K&N on craigslist and put a paper filter back on. K&N's don't filter very good and aren't really worth much HP.
Yeah, when I bought my car it had a K&N filter in it. What also came with my car was a bad MAF sensor (stock one) and a dirty throttle body blade.

I can't say for sure if that was due to the K&N being over oiled or it not filtering well as I have no idea how or if the previous owner cleaned/oiled it. However, it was enough for me to throw it out and use a paper filter instead.

Also after I bought my SLP lid I noticed that the K&N didn't fit well under it for some reason even though it fit fine under the stock assembly. It was a little too big under the SLP one.

Just my experience with K&N, take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
Hope you don't really believe that . K&N air filters do free up a few extra Hp everyone know that it's a basic mod .
Old 09-05-2014, 08:30 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Run the K&N. It's a great filter. I myself put 1/4" weatherstripping all the way around just for a bit of a better seal. The seal on the K&N itself is a bit thinner.

Whoever says the power difference is the same between thick pleated paper and high flow cotton gauze... I want some of what you've been smoking.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you call K&N and tell them you switched lids on your car they will mail you another gasket.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok the k and n weather strip came off the stock airbox without tearing and put it on the slp lid. The slp lid also did come with some stripping to put on the back side stating in the instructjons some vague thing about using it for some filters not mentioning any specific names. I think the thing with the k and n is its a bit too small. Should be bit larger for better fit and maybe its rubber surround could also be thicker as well.
I bought some oil type BMC filters and have them in my Porsche 911 turbo, my SL55 and my son's 350z. They are always great fitting and have nice thick seals. They are big in Europe might even be factory on Ferrari and lambo and other high end cars but they don't think make them for our fourth gens. Think they do for the newer Corvettes though.

But not going to lose sleep about oil getting on the Maf . Can just clean the maf if get a code and clean it yearly or couple times a year its fast and simple to do.
But did have a bitch of a time getting my maf into that SLP lid. I did heat it with hairdryer like they recommended but think if was going to use it again would heat it with heat gun but would have to be more careful with that.

I would think though after the maf has sat in the lid for awhile it will get looser as right now dont' see why you even need to put the supplied clamp on it.

As for ruining mafs not overly worried and mafs are pretty simple to clean. Use qtips and rubbing alcohol being very careful on the resister wires they are thin and bit delicate
or use spray made for cleaning sensors. Its best to take apart the maf since the screen will be in the way unless you have descreened it or have other type like granatelli that has no screen. You need a torx to take apart the maf.

Also found a plug for the lid at napa can give part number for that maybe later today. I plan to remove my air pump stuff. I should have just ordered pre 2000 lid as guess they don't come with a hole but when ordered wasn't sure was going to remove the air pump stuff.
But it does clean up the engine quite a bit making it much easier to change plugs as well.

Also seen some posts where think guys had trouble with lid popping open . The trick is to tuck the slp lid inside the factory lower lip. Then it shuts good and stays shut.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Run the K&N. It's a great filter. I myself put 1/4" weatherstripping all the way around just for a bit of a better seal. The seal on the K&N itself is a bit thinner.

Whoever says the power difference is the same between thick pleated paper and high flow cotton gauze... I want some of what you've been smoking.
Pass it this way Doc!! I have a K&N on all three vehicles, works great, does what it says and keeps the motors breathing clean air.

Chad

Quick Reply: Should I put foam strip slp lid with k and n filter?