Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Temperature Sender

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 05:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Coolant Temperature Sender

My coolant temperature sensor has failed giving me fluctuating idle and poor running problems. Basically the wires have pulled out of the sender (98 Camaro 3 wire), so my question is can I rewire to temporarily get my car going again?
I've ordered a new sender (easy option), but as I'm in the UK it will take time to get here.
Is it possible to put a resistor in the circuit to simulate normal running temps. I only use the car in summer months, so engine running temperature is pretty consistent - no more than 180 degrees even stuck in traffic with fans on (independently controlled by on off switch).
Engine is in a 1950 Morris Minor, so no visible codes etc.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 09-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I decided as the switch was basically knackered to try gluing it back together. I used a 2 pack epoxy glue and it seemed to have worked - well at least temporarily. I didn't have the surging and random idle, but idle speed was a bit high, but manageable (1200rpm in park). Hopefully a new switch will sort that out when it arrives.

Pete
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope that goes well for you. Just wanted to drop in and compliment your conversion. Very, very cool.

Quick Reply: Coolant Temperature Sender