Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA/NJ emissions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 06:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA/NJ emissions....

If I slap kooks LTs, catted high flow y pipe and borla cat back what are the chances of me passing the sniffer? My instincts tell me none. Would it be simple enough to swap stock y pipe and catless back on if needed for inspection?
Old 09-21-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnightDynamite
If I slap kooks LTs, catted high flow y pipe and borla cat back what are the chances of me passing the sniffer? My instincts tell me none. Would it be simple enough to swap stock y pipe and catless back on if needed for inspection?
With lts and cats you can pass the sniffer with a tune, but you will not pass the visual and its getting harder and harder to get a dirty smog. You would have to swap to stock exhaust manifolds and y pipe to pass.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NJ doesnt do sniffer tests on obd2 cars
Old 10-08-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Would it be simple enough to swap stock y pipe and catless back on if needed for inspection?
The stock Y will not fit LTs, unless you modify it. Even then, in a true sniffer test it won't pass as the cats will be much further from the engine and not get hot enough to be as efficient as they can be.

Although like blueshark said, I don't think NJ does an actual sniffer test. Just OBDII check and possibly a visual. As long as they don't look underneath the car, your setup will pass the OBDII check just fine with the right tune.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car is no longer subject to the sniffer in CA since it is a 2002.

Quick Reply: CA/NJ emissions....