Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any body got a tornado on there car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 05:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any body got a tornado on there car?

Got a free tornado from my friend and tried it on my car, put it right infront of t/b, car ran like **** and it backfires on 1-2 shift w/ the tornado on . Took the p.o.s off and put it on my moms explorer and it works, from 15 mpg to 18 mpg, I guess it works better on cars that have longer intakes, more time to make the air swirl. thought Id share this experience. Laters

MArk
Old 05-24-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

my dad has one on his 02 explorer and he said it picked up on mpg and hp as well.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any mod will *seem* to pick up MPG if you want it to (placebo effect.)

I've done some fairly scientific MPG testing and I can tell you that doing so is not as easy as one would think. Oftentimes you'll get noticable changes in MPG with NO changes to the car even in what seems to be very controlled testing.

There is no way possible that a Tornado is going to help MPG or HP.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that tornado is a POS. get rid of it. it is a marketing scheme. that LAST thing you need is turbulance in the intake track. also it wont produce near enough push/pull to make any effect in performance or efficiency.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Colonel. You'll get better results from keeping your tire pressure consistent and at the tire fill pressure than buying a Tornado.

Colonel, I too have tried to test the MPG, too with the same results as you.

I think the only way to tell, yay or nay, would be to have the car in a room at a constant temp, on a inertia-less roller type dyno setup and keep the engine at a constant speed to get a good idea of MPG gains or losses per mod.

The ambient environment (temp, road conditions, traffic, etc) has too many variables as well as the driver introducing even more variants.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

You know what I bet would really screw it up...not that you guys did it....but if you descreen the MAF and put it in front of the MAF. That would really give your cars computer a fit.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

my brother-in-law claims he has picked power/mpg with a "powered" tornado type
thing... and no, i didn't want know more....
Old 05-24-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1320_PERFORMANCE
Got a free tornado from my friend and tried it on my car, put it right infront of t/b, car ran like **** and it backfires on 1-2 shift w/ the tornado on . MArk
DIE!!!!!! yeah maybe if i put this big metal thing to block my intake ill get better gas mileage, yeah probably cuz it makes your car slower so you dont get on the pedal as much hense saving you gas.