Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 GTO LS1 Auto Meter Oil Pressure Gauge Install Issue Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 GTO LS1 Auto Meter Oil Pressure Gauge Install Issue Help!

I have an 04 GTO LS1 that I am trying to install an electric oil pressure gauge in. I am running into a couple of problems that is inhibiting me from finishing it.

I have tried to go down to the oil cooler delete cover (above the filter) and drill and tap it but there is no room to put the huge sensor (pictured). I also thought of going back to the oil pressure sensor and teeing it off but the problem there is that I do not know where the tee is going to face once it is torqued and I do not want to strip anything. I have also read that copper piping will crack at the threads over time.

I am stuck here? What is everybody else doing? I would like to retain the stock oil pressure sensor because I want an oil light on the dash and no check engine lights.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-24-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody? I just need something that will work that I can do today. I can use the oil pressure sensor tee idea but I need an idea on how to face the tee in the right direction? Somebody has to have done this?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could use this on your cooler port and run a hose or pipe to a remote location for the electric sending unit.

http://www.cbrperformanceproducts.co...ck_p/1002m.htm
Old 09-24-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

This is a small block ford, but you get the idea.

Aftermarket sensors are not nearly as sturdy as factory parts. Under hard use, they often rapidly fail. By moving the sensor off the engine, and soft mounting it to the chassis, it will be better protected from heat and vibration. The sender in the above picture has been doing fine for 7 years now - street and road racing.

Drill and tap that cover for a -4 connection. Be sure to ground the sensor; SS braided hose works well for that, too.

Quick Reply: 04 GTO LS1 Auto Meter Oil Pressure Gauge Install Issue Help!