Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP customer service is failing me

Old 09-26-2014, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP customer service is failing me

Car in sig bought a SLP lid probably 3 years ago. Noticed my idle was acting crazy and found what looks like dirt in my oil when I checked it. Start checking around and my lid is broke around the IAT I think it is sensor. Luckily I have my original air box assembly. No big deal really I thought, it happens its got a warranty. Yeah, I haven't had the best of luck with that. I have emailed and called. No luck, finally got a hold of someone in the warranty department, but apparently its the wrong warranty department. Anyways, I am just a little agitated. Been about two weeks and I am just to the point of buying another air lid and giving up on SLP. May come off as being a lil bitchy, but at this point coming up with a $100 for another lid is pretty hard to do.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I have gathered, I have not seen a specific warranty on the SLP lids. They do have a material and workmanship warranty. Basically they would inspect the product and if it looks like a manufactures defect then they will either fix or replace the part at their discretion. A crack in the plastic, especially around an IAT sensor can be caused by the customer by bumping the sensor hard while working in the engine bay or forcing it too hard when popping it in. I'll be honest, I don't see them covering that. If it were me, I would simply plastic weld it from the inside or use epoxy to seal the crack and call it good. I wouldn't buy another intake.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 09-26-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah it says "limited lifetime" on their website. The main frustration is not even being able to get in contact with them. Funny how when I quit hitting the warranty button on the phone I got a hold of someone easily. Its crazy because I check everything under the hood about once a week along with checking oil etc. I have been busy and started a new job and haven't even opened the hood in about a month and I noticed the idle and bam! its cracked. I sure do appreciate you responding. Really means a lot for you to take your time to respond. I thought about using some epoxy but the way it looks and the position of it when its on the MAF sensor its kind of a bad spot that goes into the IAT sensor I just wasn't sure about repairing it and if it would hold up. Here are a couple pics I think it was coming off the MAF sensor once I got it off the car.

Last edited by LS1WS6dreamer; 09-26-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have sent an E-mail to SLP probably about eight months ago about them sending a wrong hanger for my catback. Never got a word back from them. Their CS isn't very good at all.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm surprised they are even still in business honestly. Just buy another lid and dont sweat it. At least you got 3 years out of it.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be wrong,but SLP was brought out by someone from FORD or something like that. They move shop to Detroit from my understanding.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That should be an easy fix with some jb weld or other plastic welding kit. Not that you should have to do that to a product that supposedly has a lifetime warranty, but it's cheaper than buying another lid if funds are tight.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

It's a plastic 3 year old lid, not a $10,000 create motor. Fix it or buy a new one and move on !
Old 09-27-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

without knowing specifics here my whisper lid has been through all kinds of **** and its held up great. its been on my car since 99-00.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Three words - black duct tape.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Or gorilla tape. A lot stickier than duct tape!!!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I didnt even know people still bought stuff from SLP. So many other vendors who actually cater to the buyer and stand behind their product, why bother using SLP. After their whole engine failure debacle thread, I dont even use them on principle.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redtan
That should be an easy fix with some jb weld or other plastic welding kit. Not that you should have to do that to a product that supposedly has a lifetime warranty, but it's cheaper than buying another lid if funds are tight.
^^^^ This is good advice.

Even if SLP replaces the lid on warranty, you'll likely have to pay shipping to and from SLP. That would probably be at least $30-$40 in shipping costs. Pay $5 for some sort of epoxy or plastic weld kit to seal the lid and be done with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SLP customer service is failing me