Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding Starter need some help 02 HAwk

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuilding Starter need some help 02 HAwk

I want to rebuild the starter from my 02 Hawk. Does anyone know where I can find the correct solenoid and other components I may need in the rebuild?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just buy a rebuilt one and save the head ache, plus you will get a warranty.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Teching In

I hear what you are saying but I bought a rebuilt AC delco starter 2 years ago and its already staring to go. My factory starter lasted about 10 years before it started acting up so Im not exactly happy with the rebuilt one. Figured if I do it my self I know its done right and I may learn a thing or two in the process.
Crazy since the car only has about 21k on it. My 01 Silverado had 153k and I never replaced the starter and my 02 sierra's starter went out at about 80k.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You would think something as over priced as a AC Deloc starter would have a lifetime warranty. I found a replacement solenoid on Ebay when broke the stud for the starter relay wire removing the starter for some other work I was doing. If it was me I'd just buy a new truck starter from RockAuto for $63, I kind of wish thats what I did instead of buying a new solenoid for my 130k starter but I was already way over budget and spending money I didn't have.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought one off ebay. Found a us made kit on there for about 30 bucks with a solenoid and brushes/bendix. My starter was only 2 years old so I didnt replace the bendix but the solenoid and brushes are cake on these units.

Just remove the solenoid then the long bolts that hold it together. Remvoe the brushes (theyre all on a plate and 1 unit) then move the coil, clean everything and reassemble with new parts. Took me about 45 min tops lol
Old 10-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redbird555
I bought one off ebay. Found a us made kit on there for about 30 bucks with a solenoid and brushes/bendix. My starter was only 2 years old so I didnt replace the bendix but the solenoid and brushes are cake on these units.

Just remove the solenoid then the long bolts that hold it together. Remvoe the brushes (theyre all on a plate and 1 unit) then move the coil, clean everything and reassemble with new parts. Took me about 45 min tops lol
Thanks Redbird. Would you happen to have a link to the ebay item or at least the seller?
Old 10-05-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest moving on to a tuck starter with two long bolts. Otherwise if you want, I have my old starter out of my car with 28,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Starter need some help 02 HAwk