Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weirdest o2 sensor problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weirdest o2 sensor problem!

I am at a loss of words and ideas.

I have had my check engine light come on 5 times for the same o2 sensor. The code states that I have "low voltage with Bank 1, sensor 2." I replaced both the problem sensor and the passenger sensor as well because I was told that I needed to replace them in pairs. The light continued to come back on so I replaced the sensors again with new ones. I still have a check engine light and I have no clue why.

Vehicle: 2001 trans am WS6....41k original miles

Thanks for reading!
Old 10-05-2014, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To see if you got a bad one, swap side to side as well. That's the quickest way to eliminate the sensor itself if the other side isn't complaining.

Which sensors did you replace? If your car has stock-ish exhaust(cats) you likely have 4 sensors. Bank 1 sensor 2 might be the /aft/ O2 sensor which would measure cat function.

Beyond that, you may have a wiring issue. Check continuity from the PCM to the O2 sensor plug I think. Should be able to search around here and find out what pins on the PCM harness go to that O2 sensor.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mercier
To see if you got a bad one, swap side to side as well. That's the quickest way to eliminate the sensor itself if the other side isn't complaining.

Which sensors did you replace? If your car has stock-ish exhaust(cats) you likely have 4 sensors. Bank 1 sensor 2 might be the /aft/ O2 sensor which would measure cat function.

Beyond that, you may have a wiring issue. Check continuity from the PCM to the O2 sensor plug I think. Should be able to search around here and find out what pins on the PCM harness go to that O2 sensor.
Thanks for your reply! The sensors are not "bad" they are brand new and I replaced them in pairs so I know that this is not the case. The stock cats are still installed. I do not know how to check the continuity so I may have to have a shop do that.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You haven't been burned by a bad replacement part yet I see. I mean it's worth swapping side to side to make sure a new sensor is not bad. It isn't common but it happens and has happened to me.

Did you clear the codes from the computer after changing them? Did you change all FOUR oxygen sensors?

By continuity, I mean checking to make sure the wire is connected all the way through. Simplest way is to use a multimeter(even the $5 Harbor Feight deal will do this) and check resistance(ohms) from one end to the other. If you have very close to zero, the wire is probably good. A shop could do this for you pretty easily and quickly as well.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mercier
You haven't been burned by a bad replacement part yet I see. I mean it's worth swapping side to side to make sure a new sensor is not bad. It isn't common but it happens and has happened to me.

Did you clear the codes from the computer after changing them? Did you change all FOUR oxygen sensors?

By continuity, I mean checking to make sure the wire is connected all the way through. Simplest way is to use a multimeter(even the $5 Harbor Feight deal will do this) and check resistance(ohms) from one end to the other. If you have very close to zero, the wire is probably good. A shop could do this for you pretty easily and quickly as well.
I replaced the rear 2 sensors only, not the fronts. And considering the fact that I have bought and exchanged 4 brand new sensors, I highly doubt that it is a bad part. But thank you for the continuity explanation!

Quick Reply: Weirdest o2 sensor problem!