Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting bolt off back of engine to remove air pump diverter valve?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Getting bolt off back of engine to remove air pump diverter valve?

Any tips on getting that valve off my car. Do you have to lie on the engine or can you reach behind and what would be best socket or wrench. Did you remove anything else to make it easier to get to that 15mm bolt? remove coilpack on drivers side?

Anyone got a good pic of the back of an ls1 engine with that diverter valve on it?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a small socket wrench, easiest to stand on the side of the car. If I remember correctly there is a ground strap attached there as well so you have to put the bolt back
Old 10-12-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok thanks. and found a decent drawing of back of the engine will maybe link and post this in awhile.
Will try to get that darn thing out today.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

When I get back there I always just reach my phone back there and take a pic, then you know exactly what your working with
Old 10-12-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
When I get back there I always just reach my phone back there and take a pic, then you know exactly what your working with
Sounds like a good idea. I guess got bit rammy and while was pulling on the hose going into the diverter well managed to snap off the diverter valve.
I think the bracket is held in with two bolts on my car. A 10mm it looks like on valve cover and maybe a 13 or 15 on the back of the engine. I will likely take out that bracket today as now its pretty easy to get to and also popped out the solenoid also.

I am not overly worried that broke the diverter imagine can get one pretty cheap on ebay or here if needed one in the future.

I do like the engine bay much better with that crap out of there.

Now back to changing my spark plugs on the drivers side.

And I cant find my gapper but think those factory ac delcos at 40,000 miles have very very large gaps. Bet the car might run a lot better when change them out. The passenger side was done week or so ago . Shop did number 8 from bottom when was doing other mods to the car.

Anyway maybe can try to take a pic of the back of the head and post it on here. Or at least can give exact bolt size. Think taking off the brake hose might also help a bit and is quick to do. Or even taking off the coil packs. Also pretty easy to do on the drivers side. On the passenger side I generally throw away the back bolts on the coil pack to save time the next time around.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Don't put the diverted back on! If your deleting the air system just get a vacuum port cover from just about anywhere and cap the back of the manifold where that really small tube the connects the diverter to the back of the manifold and call it a day https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...uestion-2.html
Old 10-12-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
Don't put the diverted back on! If your deleting the air system just get a vacuum port cover from just about anywhere and cap the back of the manifold where that really small tube the connects the diverter to the back of the manifold and call it a day https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...uestion-2.html
Sorry if wasn't clear. I have no intention of putting the diverter back on unless forced to by some change in emissions law in the future.
I got the bracket off it is a 15mm did stand beside it with longer 15mm wrench , it was very tight for socket , broke it free with bigger normal 15mm and then used my shorter 15mm gear wrench to loosen it bit more and the bracket does have fork type thing and it came out easy and then tightened up the bolt again. There was also a 10mm on valve cover that also had to take off as the bracket slips over it. Not sure if you could get the diverter off the bracket easily maybe with screwdriver but as said I broke it so whatever. It was just plastic.

So maybe take car for quick spin today and see how its running with some properly gapped and brand new plugs.

On the vacuum leak thing you have a tube /line that goes form the diverter on top to the solenoid which also removed. And you have the line from back of the intake that goes to the solenoid as well. I put a little bolt in the end of the line that goes to the solenoid from the head for now. I can reach back another day and put a vacuum cap on intake or maybe just wait till have intake off the car as then likely be doing new intake, heads, cam /headers anyway. For now happy things are much cleaned up under the hood.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ratcheting wrench FTW.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:19 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
Ratcheting wrench FTW.
Add a flex head and reversible action and life is good.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The diverter slides off the bracket... wiggle it side-to-side a little and slide it off.

The bracket has a slot... so loosen the bolt, slide the bracket off the bolt, and re-tighten the bolt (since it holds a ground wire to the head).
Old 10-22-2014, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What joecar said. I just yanked on the hose, and the valve pulled off the bracket.

Quick Reply: Getting bolt off back of engine to remove air pump diverter valve?