Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks headers + Wrap: Any known damage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks headers + Wrap: Any known damage?

I realize there are dozens of threads regarding header wrap and I think I've read every single one of them.

My question goes out to anyone running Kooks stainless headers on their 4th gen, and has chosen to wrap them: Have you ever had a failure (crack, etc.) result from wrapping your Kooks stainless headers?

I've read the merits of both wrapping and not, I've spoken with Kooks directly to verify that wrapping will indeed void your warranty (not surprising). I've put a feeler email out to DEI about their Titanium exhaust wrap, and still waiting a response. I'm also not really sold on coating entirely, and I don't think there's anyone in my area that does it anyways (I know someone will mention it).

I really want to know if there's any actual experience with appropriately done wrap (1/4" overlap) having actually caused header damage.

Bonus Question: If you ran your headers bare (on a 4th gen), what other components did you protect instead?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

my KOOKS are over 10 yrs. old and ive done nothing to them and theyve held up great.

no coating or wraps and its an outside car.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
my KOOKS are over 10 yrs. old and ive done nothing to them and theyve held up great.

no coating or wraps and its an outside car.
Did you end up protecting your starter, plugs, or wires instead?

My car is a nice weather summer-only car for me and is stored in a garage otherwise. I'm mainly concerned about sitting in traffic in 90+ degree summer heat, and having that melt everything in my engine bay.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Stainless has great thermal properties. Don't worry about melting things. Stainless headers on my car that sees 25 minute road course sessions 5 times a day, more heat than driving on the street would ever cause. Never had one issue, and nothing is heat wrapped.

As far as wrapping headers, Im not a fan. Although it works extremely well, it can soak up oil residue if your car has any slight leaks. Then it becomes a major fire hazard. Yes, many have done it with great success, but when I spoke to many race car builders they advised against using it for that reason. Just some food for thought.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I already ordered 100' of the DEI Titanium wrap (which I believe doesn't have any issues with oil contamination)... so I'll either send it back to Summit or use it elsewhere (like around my Kooks TD exhaust near the gas tank or anywhere else the factory heat shields aren't protecting...)

Maybe I can use it for forced induction piping later on.

It seems most people who have run Kooks headers don't wrap them, and without knowing if doing so will crack $1000 headers, I'm leery of continuing down that path.

If I do run them bare, I'm going to definitely wrap the starter (I need to buy a new one anyways, I just broke the one I had trying to get this header/exhaust/mounts/oil pan job done) and most likely find some cable jackets for things nearby, such as the alternator wire if it comes too close.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stainless is great at holding heat in, I have kooks true dual stainless and I can actually grab the exhaust right after the headers and not burn myself after the car has been running for hours on a long trip
Old 10-16-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep the wrap for near the gas tank, I know the kooks system gets pretty close.

Ceramic coating is another option, it works well. Most powder coating facilities do it, you might have someone local.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Kooks that were coated. Sitting in 100 deg heat crawling along to get over the bridge into Detroit for over an hour I melted the plastic bushings in the steering column and the rubber bushing in the small steering shaft. I don't even want to think what the temps would have been without the coating.

Quick Reply: Kooks headers + Wrap: Any known damage?