Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 SS Top Engine Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 SS Top Engine Coolant Leak

Hey guys, my 01 SS has been leaking coolant very slowly for the past 20k miles or so. I was thinking it was a water pump or something like that so I was mostly letting it go until the problem became obvious. Anyways, last road trip I took I lost about 1/2 gal over about 1000 miles based on the overflow level.

I've determined that my leak is somewhere on top of the engine and the coolant is leaking down the front cover starting right below the MAF/Throttle area.

Based on my understanding, there aren't any coolant lines in the intake manifold? If so, why does it look like I might have a manifold gasket problem (pics at link below)?

It doesn't look like its leaking from the small coolant line that leads to the tiny coolant cross pipe thing for the heads, they are high and dry.

Any ideas what I'm looking at here?

(Forgive the white mess everywhere, I tossed on some talc powder to help me see where the coolant was going before it evaporated)

PICTURES:

PS if a shot from a better angle would help the diagnoses let me know, I grabbed these after work on my phone camera while it was still wet.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

A simple pressure test and/or some dye and a black lite comes to mind...
Old 10-27-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 a pressure tester will show you the leak in action.

Quick Reply: 01 SS Top Engine Coolant Leak