Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP true duals TSP bullets vs single chamber mufflers vids

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP true duals TSP bullets vs single chamber mufflers vids

After putting TSP true duals on my car this year, I thought I'd see if I cold improve on them after all the rave reviews I've seen for Flowmaster style single chamber mufflers. The TSP bullets were kind of "boomy" (had a real loud bass to them)and pretty loud going down the road, but sounded great otherwise. So I bought some single chamber knockoff mufflers on Ebay, I dont remember the price but they were about half of what a Flowmaster would be. I had to run a few adapters since they were 3"id on both ends and weld on j-hooks similar to what the TSP bullets have. It looks ugly, but it works!

The first thing I noticed was that it almost seemed to make the cam lope more, it sounded great at idle, but didn't sound nearly as deep. It was also way quieter going down the road. This could be because I got to set the angle of the turndowns where I wanted them at (about 45 degrees out) instead of them being fixed on the TSP mufflers. At wot it had a nice growl, but still seemed to be missing something. After a night at the track and having friends, family, and track officials tell me the original mufflers sounded better, I decided to put the bullets back on. I will try to bend the hangers a little bit to get the turndowns pointed out more, that should make a big difference. On to the vids...

These first two are of the original TSP bullets. Watch the volume on the rear mounted cam, its starts out quiet but gets scary loud at wot

These are the single chamber muffler vids

Mods are FTRA, ASP ud, LS6 intake, ported tb, Tick SNS stage 3 cam,QTP 1 3/4 headers, TSP true duals, Yank 4000SS, MWC Fab 9
Old 10-27-2014, 05:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice...

I also swapped out my TSP rumbler bullets for 1 chamber flowmasters dumped. No words can describe how amazing the sound is.

My tuner told me he has not seen a car with flowmasters in awhile and never heard 1 chamber setup. He said he was very surprised and impressed with the 1 chambers.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great thread. Not sure if it's just the video, but the 1 chambers sound louder to me at idle and cruise than the TSP bullets do. What do you think? I know the 1 chambers have a better tone to them, but from the videos, they seem just as loud, if not louder.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Lol you guys, he switched back to the bullets because they sounded better than the flowmasters. He didn't keep them.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ah yes. I see that now.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't switched them, yet. I thought I had my mind made up, but I still keep debating it. The video is definitely louder for the single chambers, but it doesn't seem like it in person. The bullets are so deep and low, it's almost like the camera doesn't pick it up. The single chambers definitely seem to make it "chop" harder. Decisions decisions!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everyone is telling me the old ones sound deeper like a muscle car, and the new ones are higher pitched and oddly "metallic" sounding. I should have had someone drive it before and after so I could hear it on the outside. Vids don't do it justice and my rear mount camera is in a water tight plastic case, so that definitely makes a difference.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do have some 2.5" classic chambered mufflers I could do a trial on and buy their 3" ones if I like it. The weird thing about that is they look exactly like the TSP mufflers on the inside, iirc. Tsp runs theirs backwards for some reason though, I believe they explained that in another thread recently.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a different muffler than what we provide, I tend to like the Cherry Bomb single chamber mufflers personally. I used the 3-1/2" inlet and made a step up for the pipe to fit (better flow). No drone while driving, you can easily carry a conversation in the cabin and under WOT they scream. The Flowmasters will be a little louder than the Cherry bombs and have a little more drone. Thanks for the video. In the end, it's all about what sounds best to the individual as long as it doesn't hurt power.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 10-27-2014, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the 12" inch bullets from summit.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake the SSnake
the new ones are higher pitched and oddly "metallic" sounding.
This is exactly what I think of Flowmasters as well. They dont sound bad but there are better sounding mufflers out there for sure. If I ever went with duals Id go with either Maganaflow bullets or Moroso spiral flows.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Leave the flowmasters for the mustangs tbh, I like your bullets better. Try sweet thunders.. they are my favorite
Old 10-29-2014, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

The original mufflers sounded better.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll be putting the original bullets back on once I tweak the hangers a little to point them out more. I may get some dynomax or Summit bullets next spring and give them a try too. I think I'll be pretty happy once I get the turndowns pointed where I want and get it to stop resonating inside the car so much.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm surprised nobody asked, but was their any improvements from your track times after the muffler swap?

I love how the 1 chambers sounds, and yes, more like a muscle car tone. But do they rob power? Thats why I'm curious on your track times.

I have the sweet thunder muffs on my car currently, but have been thinking to switch to something else that might flow a little better. I did read somewhere that they are 2 1/2" ID
Old 11-03-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnmotown
I'm surprised nobody asked, but was their any improvements from your track times after the muffler swap?

I love how the 1 chambers sounds, and yes, more like a muscle car tone. But do they rob power? Thats why I'm curious on your track times.

I have the sweet thunder muffs on my car currently, but have been thinking to switch to something else that might flow a little better. I did read somewhere that they are 2 1/2" ID
I need to go back an get the DA for that night to be 100% sure, but I'll call it a draw for now. Previous best 2 weeks earlier was a 7.37, new best with the single chambers was 7.34 with about 3/10ths of a mph quicker. Obviously both were 1/8 mile runs lol. It might have been slightly lower da, but it should have been pretty close. Either way, they certainly didn't hurt the performance over the bullets.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake the SSnake
I need to go back an get the DA for that night to be 100% sure, but I'll call it a draw for now. Previous best 2 weeks earlier was a 7.37, new best with the single chambers was 7.34 with about 3/10ths of a mph quicker. Obviously both were 1/8 mile runs lol. It might have been slightly lower da, but it should have been pretty close. Either way, they certainly didn't hurt the performance over the bullets.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

From everything I've seen and read, the FM 10 series 1 chambers do not rob any power. They are a race muffler and typically used in classes that require some type of muffler.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Having heard both in person I prefer the single chambers. I like the bullets just fine, but the single chambers are the best sounding set up I have heard for a 4th gen fbody. The video does not accurately represent how they sound in person using my desktop computer speakers...they are much deeper than the video leads one to believe.

Most videos of the 1 chambers sound more hollow and tinny than they do in person.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had dynomax bullets dumped, and tsp rumblers and now 1 chamber flowmaster.

The dynomax bullets are probably the loudest, but they were just loud. The 1 chambers arent as loud as dynomax bullets but still very loud especially being cammed. But the 1 chambers have a better sound to them than just being loud.

I like the 1 chambers better..

Quick Reply: TSP true duals TSP bullets vs single chamber mufflers vids