Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens if you change coolant with out flushing

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What happens if you change coolant with out flushing

As the title says... I'm still trying to figure out why the TA I bought 6k miles ago went to hell so fast. For those of you who don't know, the car started burning oil at 1 quart every 100 miles 3k miles after I bought it. The car only has 53k miles on it.

After many searches and hours of contemplation, one thing I overlooked was the coolant. About a week after I bought the car, the water pump seized up. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it, however, I don't know if they used the dexcool.

If they didn't use the dexcool, what does that do to the motor? Can it ruin any gaskets causing oil to get into the cylinders? Or does it just effect the cooling system?

Is there anyway I can tell if the coolant they used is dexcool with out having to ask the dealer that did the work (they replaced the water pump 4 months ago and i'm sure they've slept since then)?

I'm not looking to hang anyone, but I'd sure like to figure out what the hell made the motor fall to **** in such a short period of time.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pimp_Nas_T
As the title says... I'm still trying to figure out why the TA I bought 6k miles ago went to hell so fast. For those of you who don't know, the car started burning oil at 1 quart every 100 miles 3k miles after I bought it. The car only has 53k miles on it.

After many searches and hours of contemplation, one thing I overlooked was the coolant. About a week after I bought the car, the water pump seized up. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it, however, I don't know if they used the dexcool.

If they didn't use the dexcool, what does that do to the motor? Can it ruin any gaskets causing oil to get into the cylinders? Or does it just effect the cooling system?

Is there anyway I can tell if the coolant they used is dexcool with out having to ask the dealer that did the work (they replaced the water pump 4 months ago and i'm sure they've slept since then)?

I'm not looking to hang anyone, but I'd sure like to figure out what the hell made the motor fall to **** in such a short period of time.

I believe dexcool is the purpleish color... Green is the different antifreeze that they say we shouldnt use.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

That sux... I have something more orangish in color. I'll double check that before I leave work.

Any insite as to what using the wrong coolant will do to the motor?

anyone...? anyone...?
Old 05-25-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Orange is the Dexcool. You are fine with that.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bear
Orange is the Dexcool. You are fine with that.

guess i was wrong.. I just know it's not the green color.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

anybody else know what happens if you do use a different coolant with out flushing or mix the dexcool with a different coolant?

From the responses, i'm sure i have the dexcool, but i'd still like to know what happens.....

Old 05-25-2004, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pimp_Nas_T
anybody else know what happens if you do use a different coolant with out flushing or mix the dexcool with a different coolant?

From the responses, i'm sure i have the dexcool, but i'd still like to know what happens.....

Ive read awhile back somewhere that it might cause the waterpump to leak or something like that. Have you done a search yet?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

it doesn't hurt to mix them as long as you don't leave them together too long. in other words make sure it's orange in color. if not, whoever changed the water pump should get their *** chewed, especially if they work at a dealership, they should know better. mixing types will not hurt gaskets as far as i know and i work at a GM dealer also. have you been hammering on it very hard? maybe it was just the rings or valve seals time to start leaking worse than before. good luck on your finds!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Orange is dexcool.
And as stated before, if it is inter-mixed, then you will need to get it flushed out, as prolonged exposure to both will cause damage. You have to use one or the other.
As for your car eating oil, when your water pump seized, did the car over heat? Our alluminum engines are very picky about getting too hot for long periods.

Things I would look for:
Blue smoke - engine is eating oil
Oil on the side or bottom of the engine, or on the floor - engine is leaking oil.
Dip stick loose - Oil could be coming out from there only when you are driving.

It is things like that I would start looking for. Unless you have oil in your coolant (it would be obvious when you look at it).
One should not have much to do with the other.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 05-25-2004, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

from what i have heard mixing dexcool (orange) with conventional (green) coolant will gel up and slow down moving though the engine. gel-ing up also will cause the motor to over heat. possibly what could have happened it overheated and some of the valves could have got bent or screwed up, pistion rings could have broke or something to that effect therefore a oil burning problem, theres not much to do unless you have the motor torn down to find a burning problem
Old 05-25-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Just wondering what would happen if the two were mixed. When I bought the car, it was a "certified pre-owned" on the VW lot @ 45 and dixie farm road. The waterpump seized at the most opportune time... I had just pulled in my garage and was about to turn the car off when it locked up. The car didn't over heat. From the best I can tell, my #5 rings are non existant. I think they were on the drain plug last time i changed the oil (hard to tell when they are ground up that fine). I haven't seen any oil in the coolant, there are absolutely ZERO leaks, and there is always a huge gray cloud behind me (the ****** burns oil and runs rich....)

I'm starting the rebuild this weekend, so no sweat off a monkeys nut.

Quick Reply: What happens if you change coolant with out flushing