Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same headers, who has more room, stick or auto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same headers, who has more room, stick or auto?

So, about to get some headers for the E36 LS(something) swap. The JTR headers I am looking at are built for a t56 setup. How much room would I lose, or gain, by throwing in a 4l80E? Any good guesses? I contacted JTR to see what they say and awaiting a response.

In the meantime, I was wondering about those that have already used headers in the header world, which tranny combo gives more or less room between headers, a stick and auto? <On a side note, that was a lot of commas! i think i need to go to bed, lol!?>
Old 11-06-2014, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is you would lose room to the point that modification would be needed.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well in the stock ls world headers are headers. that being said i assume these were built especially for a t56. imo the stick would have more room as the auto is really wide up front and necks down as it goes to the rear.

The t56 is narrower at the front and thicker at the back minus the TH but no one cares about that for headers. Fwiw I used the same headers on my car with a t56 and auto. although like i said they really arent cloe to either trans to begin with
Old 11-07-2014, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
well in the stock ls world headers are headers.

Exactly, that why, if for example, you have a T56, then you go auto, if you gained "x" amount of clearance using an auto, it would be the same with the custom headers. I am afraid i have it backwards (wishful thinking) and assume I would lose space with an auto.

From what I have read (little there is about these headers on this swap), they have not tried it with a auto, so, they might not be able to answer that question. My only next route then is to dig through peoples crainail cavitys to see whats going on in the real world with thier headers and draw a conclusion from that.

Next option would be is if JTR cant say, maybe they can send me some clearance measure ments and I can compare them with someone??
Old 11-07-2014, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4l60e & t56 are of similar size. The 4l80e is significantly larger than the others and will probably require mods to fit that chassis/header setup.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:39 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

It'd be helpful if we knew what vehicle these headers are going in.

Quick Reply: Same headers, who has more room, stick or auto?