Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jet Hot Install Started

Old 05-26-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jet Hot Install Started

Started my Jet Hot LT install this afternoon. Worked approx. 2 hrs and was able to get all the old stuff off including YPipe, manifolds, cats, etc. 1/2 that time was spent just getting the plugs out. I found a product sold by Miller Welding called "Cold Shock" which is a fantastic penetrator. It freezed the part and the and the bolts backed right out. Takes about 1-2 minutes to work. Use it on both manifold bolts and cats/ypipe. Also had a chance to pre-fit the driver's side LT. Looks like I'll need to grind a small portion of some "tab" on the block. It almost slipped right in and probably with a bit of muscle would , but I don't want to dent or chip the coating on the headers, so I'll just grind a bit off.
Looks like the K member will not need any grinding.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know about this Cold Shock stuff and it looks like total install will be about 5 hours and that's doing it on ramps and stands not a lift.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 05-26-2004, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

No K member grinding need huh? Nice.
I think some of the older sets may have needed that more, how new are your Jet Hots?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
No K member grinding need huh? Nice.
I think some of the older sets may have needed that more, how new are your Jet Hots?
About 2 weeks old!!
Old 05-26-2004, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

all i had to get mine to fit up was take off the oil diverter plate, just try everyway and they should slide up there, mine was the older style, had them about a year, didnt have to grind block, k-member or remove steering shaft. Just a little F.Y.I good luck!
Old 05-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Teching In

well I don't know if mine were laying around for a while but just instlled mine on the weekend and need to take steering knuckle apart and grind the k-member you better make sure you have enough clearence alot easier to do with header not in there JMO rob
Old 05-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

I just got mine in. I had to grind a little off the tab, but nothing else had to be messed with. Passenger side went right in.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

My hookers aka jet hots fit in sooooo damn easy as well. Maybe its because Ive taken them in and out so many times but both headers I can put in without even touching them
on anything now. The passenger side slides right in with no starter and with enough height (have to hold car up with high lift jack ) The drivers side I take off the steering knuckle and the oil diverter plate/filter and it slides right up. Headers also dont bump or grind on anything. Sorry to ramble on but I just re-installed mine and was thinking about how much I like these headers. Grats on the install.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:48 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by nikon1999
all i had to get mine to fit up was take off the oil diverter plate, just try everyway and they should slide up there, mine was the older style, had them about a year, didnt have to grind block, k-member or remove steering shaft.
How about the Hooker ORY, did you have to bend it or bang the floorboard at all to get it to fit well?
Old 05-27-2004, 02:31 AM
TECH Addict

I was thinking of taking off the steering knuckle instead of grinding, looks like it's going to have to be one or the other. How does it come off. I know there's a bolt on the top half but how does the knuckle slide off the steering column?

Thanks
Bryan
Old 05-27-2004, 02:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parbreak
I was thinking of taking off the steering knuckle instead of grinding, looks like it's going to have to be one or the other. How does it come off. I know there's a bolt on the top half but how does the knuckle slide off the steering column?

Thanks
Bryan
After the top bolt is off you should be able to slide the knuckle down so that the top part of the knuckle clears what it was bolted to. Then you can turn the knuckle and pull the bottom half up off what it was connected to. I got mine in by removing this and the oil diverter plate. Hope this helps. (also hope it's right, it's been like a year since I did this)

Edit: BTW, the steering shaft did not come of as easily as I expected. But then again, NOTHING went as easily as I expected, it took forever. Word of advice, when it's all back together again, start it up open header
Old 05-27-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

i had to grind a bit of the k-member, the headers were WAY too close to it and i didint want any vibrations. i removed the steering shaft to make it easier on myself, but it wasnt necessary. overall it was a pretty easy install.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the y-pipe installed fine, but it did hitt, i did the header wrap/heater hose trick, and its been on there for over a year, hasn't melted yet. No knock (tested on dyno and track). Just a little added vibration

Search this Thread