Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 truck intake to fast car intake swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Lq4 truck intake to fast car intake swap?

I have another fast intake swap question, i have a heads/ cam lq4 in a gbody monte carlo, i still have the original truck intake and truck accesories. Ive read alot of posts about swapping the ls6 intake in place of the truck intake. Ive also read a lot of posts about Car guys that already had ls1/ls6 intakes swapping to the fast.

But i havent found much on swapping the truck intake to the car style fast 92/102. I know i would have to use the fbody water pump with spacers along with relocating my idler pulley.

Will i have any issues with my cam sensor, valley cover, Knock sensors?

Can anyone help with this one?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Why not use a truck Fast? It will make more power and you won't have to change all that other mess?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The truck lsxrt is the most powerful fast intake for any application you have room for it. Paint it black & it'll look better.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I had thought about the lsxrt, but i was unsure about it becuase i read of people having tuning problems.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

there are tuning "problems" with any Fast intake (except maybe the 78mm since it uses a stock TB) if the tuner doesn't know what to do or want to spend the time on the idle

avoid Fast brand throttle bodies in my opinion as that is the majority of the problem in the cases I've dealt with
Old 11-27-2014, 10:05 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The positioning of the throttle body on the truck manifold is much higher to clear a water pump mounted fan. The front accessories and belt drives are different.

To use a low profile car intake, you'll need to change over to car accessory drive stuff.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
there are tuning "problems" with any Fast intake (except maybe the 78mm since it uses a stock TB) if the tuner doesn't know what to do or want to spend the time on the idle

avoid Fast brand throttle bodies in my opinion as that is the majority of the problem in the cases I've dealt with
ya, mike (new era) mentioned to me last year i stopped in the shop about some LSXRT on trucks he tuned, no problems but had to do a little more work on them for the perfect street turning, on the tight gear/convertor, heavy truck, at cursing under (big) loads, over very light, lots of gear race setup like I have thats easier. No idea what is was, Im not a tuner at all. Thought that might be why the TBSS intake has that baffle in the plenum that makes the TB neck feed to the middle over the plenum? this was just some open talk no testing or any real knowledge if that's true at all? But just looking at the visual difference its for somthing, I have zero truck world info, it might be known with the truck guys?

Quick Reply: Lq4 truck intake to fast car intake swap?