Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crackle (Resonance) in the Exhaust needs to go away!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crackle (Resonance) in the Exhaust needs to go away!

I just got the car back on the road last weekend after installing Kooks 1 7/8" Racing Headers, Off Road Y Pipe, Solid Billet Mounts, Emissions delete, and a few other things. Just had it computer tuned by a local shop that specializes in LS1s (Lane Culver), a couple days ago. It helped out a lot and great price.

Anyways, I've got some issues (well issues for it being a DD) to work out so I can decide on a Cam. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...3-heads-4.html

I've got a nasty crackle in the exhaust when accelerating in the 2k to 3k rpm range. I've contacted Kooks about getting cats to put back in, but even after spending all the money I've spent on their exhaust they still want to break the bank with me.

I've come to an agreement with a guy selling a magnaflow axle back system on here. I'm going to see how much that helps before putting cats back on.

I currently have the factory exhaust with a non brand name muffler (design is based of the flowmaster). I've used these mufflers on several stock setup cars and they sound incredible for a factory ride. However, I suspect it may be causing some of my problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Factory ss or ws6 catback or cats are your only solution outside of random resonators etc in the I pipe
Old 11-27-2014, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Factory ss or ws6 catback or cats are your only solution outside of random resonators etc in the I pipe
It's an 02 WS6. That's what I'm afraid of.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Put a straight through resonator right at the end of the y merge. Cheap, eliminates the sound issues.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Would that get rid of the crackle or just tone down the exhaust with a quieter crackle?
Old 11-28-2014, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Excess/unburnt fuel in the exhaust when decelerating with you foot off the gas pedal will do it. It shouldn't do it at all when accelerating Did it do it before the tune? If it didn't talk to your tuner, they can usually get rid of at least some of the crackle, it could also be a exhaust leak. If that doesn't do enough then put a magnaflow 14418 bullet muffler in the I-pipe right off the Y-merger exit. Often when the exhaust is opened up it uncovers sounds that were previously muffled buy cats, thick wall exhaust manifolds, and more restrictive/muffling factory mufflers.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 11-28-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Excess/unburnt fuel in the exhaust when decelerating with you foot off the gas pedal will do it. It shouldn't do it at all when accelerating Did it do it before the tune? If it didn't talk to your tuner, they can usually get rid of at least some of the crackle, it could also be a exhaust leak. If that doesn't do enough then put a magnaflow 14418 bullet muffler in the I-pipe right off the Y-merger exit. Often when the exhaust is opened up it uncovers sounds that were previously muffled buy cats, thick wall exhaust manifolds, and more restrictive/muffling factory mufflers.
Yea it did it before the tune, but was a lot worse. It was anytime I hit the accelerator and a lot harsher.

Thanks for the part number. I might just go with that.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:52 AM

Put a straight through resonator right at the end of the y merge.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gqlhonourbv
Put a straight through resonator right at the end of the y merge.
Hey man your picture aren't working for me.

So what would the sound difference be between putting a straight through resonator just past the y pipe merger or putting a high flow cat there instead?
Old 11-30-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

The high flow cat will be more restrictive.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

The high flow cat will be more restrictive.
How bad? I'm not sure a resonator will fit real well, where I'd need.

What would the sound difference be?
Old 11-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Maybe some info I have will help. I too have the same crackle that you are talking about. I have a magnaflow 3" from header back and 1 3/4 longtubes. When I had highflow cats the exhaust was very quiet and had no crackle at all. But cats fell apart(my car doesnt seem to like cats at all) and its there. Im not sure resonators will help fully. Maybe tone it down slightly but to get rid of that crackle it needs cats to tone it out. Check online on different websites or even ebay check for some highflow cats. I dont know if this really helps at all and dont mean it as a thread jack at all. Just some enlightening info on the topic.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

was reading in a post on the AIR system for the exhaust and guy was having same issues and he found that the valve for the system wasnt closing all the way letting air in exhaust making it pop and run rich,just a thought dunno if ur even still using this.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Magnaflow mini cats. They took care of the rasp.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

The Magnaflow 14419 has a 4" diameter case with a 14" length. Fitment should not be an issue as long as your current I-pipe has at least 5/8" clearance all around it within those 14"s of where it's mounted.
Imo, get a muffler not a resonator, unless you know what frequency range needs cancelation and then can get a resonator for that frequency range. Get the wrong resonator and it won't help at all, and could possibly make the exhaust sound worse.
As far as the sound difference I really couldn't say, it's size, construction, and mount location will be a factor, but for it's size the cat/s will likely be the most effective, but like I said before the more restrictive.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

The Magnaflow 14419 has a 4" diameter case with a 14" length. Fitment should not be an issue as long as your current I-pipe has at least 5/8" clearance all around it within those 14"s of where it's mounted.
Imo, get a muffler not a resonator, unless you know what frequency range needs cancelation and then can get a resonator for that frequency range. Get the wrong resonator and it won't help at all, and could possibly make the exhaust sound worse.
As far as the sound difference I really couldn't say, it's size, construction, and mount location will be a factor, but for it's size the cat/s will likely be the most effective, but like I said before the more restrictive.
Right now I'm running a stock setup with Kooks 1 7/8" headers and I'm about to install the magnaflow axle back. I feel like I have well more flow than I need right now as is, even with restricting it with a single cat, I feel like I'll still have more than enough flow.

When/if I hit 425+ rwhp, I plan to add electric cutouts before the y pipe merge. That way I can really let her flow, when I want to open her up.

It seems the cat is the better option for better sound. With the above being said, it seems the restricted flow is worth the trade off.

Someone, please correct me if I'm off here.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

but like I said before the more restrictive.
And more expensive. Good highflow cats are $100 each and will be more work to install. That Magnaflow muffler is just under $90 and should be pretty easy to install.

Quick Reply: Crackle (Resonance) in the Exhaust needs to go away!