Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So if I buy these...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So if I buy these...

If I buy these headers, is there anything else I will be needing? Should I buy the gaskets or O2 extensions it offers as extra options? I really want to just buy a complete package deal and be done with it. Also, are these pretty good headers? The car won't see any salt or snow, mostly dry roads.

Also I don't have the tools to do this, think an install from a local garage would be reasonable?

http://www.speedengineeringlsx.com/s...ersion-25-1011
Old 11-28-2014, 10:28 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Unless you've already done it, you'll need to do the A.I.R. delete physically as well as tuning it out from the PCM.

You should also get a tune to take advantage of your better flowing exhaust.

I would suggest you go to the 1-7/8" headers for a little more cash. These engines like a bigger pipe and if you do more mods in the future, you'll be needing the 1-7/8" version.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Unless you've already done it, you'll need to do the A.I.R. delete physically as well as tuning it out from the PCM.

You should also get a tune to take advantage of your better flowing exhaust.

I would suggest you go to the 1-7/8" headers for a little more cash. These engines like a bigger pipe and if you do more mods in the future, you'll be needing the 1-7/8" version.
But I have the '01 LS1, thought I wouldn't have to deal with A.I.R.?

Is a mail in order tune good enough for just simple mods and headers? I don't know any local tuners, though I'm sure there are some.

What's the difference going to be between 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8?
Old 11-28-2014, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can reuse your stock gaskets if you want, and you don't need o2 extensions. You can either Follow the directions in this thread, https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...vette-o2s.html, or buy the longer Corvette o2 sensors. You should also install poly motor mounts (don't know why retailers don't list them as an add on option) and my want to consider new spark plugs and wires. As for having them installed I wouldn't be surprised if some places don't even want to do it. If they'll do it they'll probably charge you 4-6 hours of labor, which would translate to $200-600 possibly more. If you have a place to do the work buy some tools and do it yourself. If you have a Harbor Freight near buy you can buy a lot of good tools for $200-600.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:49 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by NoHope
You're car came with it. It's the EGR that disappeared.

Is a mail in order tune good enough for just simple mods and headers? I don't know any local tuners, though I'm sure there are some.
Until you start doing serious mods, mail order tunes do help. A dyno tune is of course better but won't get you much gain with an otherwise stock setup.

About 40 bucks.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I personally ran a mail order tune with an upgraded intake manifold and headers . The car ran great with no issues. I recommend getting in touch with FROST for mail order tunes

As far as header size, if you don't plan on making high horsepower then stick to 1 3/4 headers. . I personally ran 1 3/4 headers on a H/C/I ls1 on 100shot of nitrous (543whp/554wtq) and was fine. I'd say anything over 600whp , 1 7/8 headers Will help. .

You can still run your A.I.R system on aftermarket headers . Just make sure you purchase the ones that are compatible with a.I.r systems.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with 1-7/8 don't listen to people who say they're only needs for big hp build its all heresay. Bigger headers will always make more power even on bolt on setups. And you will have to delete the air iirc speed engineering doesn't make headers in that size with air provision
Old 11-29-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SE does have some headers with emissions fittings but I'd never buy then. they're identical to Ebay headers and have 1 5/8 primaries which are to small for even a stock 5.3. 1 7/8 headers would be a good idea, they're really only worth 5 hp more at most right now, but the more mods you do the more hp they'll be worth. Lots of people say they're only going to do bolt on's, but then down the road end up with H/C/I or a ProCharger or both.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redbird555
I agree with 1-7/8 don't listen to people who say they're only needs for big hp build its all heresay. Bigger headers will always make more power even on bolt on setups. And you will have to delete the air iirc speed engineering doesn't make headers in that size with air provision
Is that pretty easy to do?
Old 11-29-2014, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes there are plenty of writ ups but more or less you disconnect the hoses when you remove the old manifolds anyway. then just disconnect them from the pump in the front bumper and remoe that as well
Old 11-29-2014, 05:19 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

After removing the A.I.R. system, you'll get a SES and codes. The system test needs to be tuned out from the PCM.

Quick Reply: So if I buy these...