Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big cam, ORY, STOCK catback

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big cam, ORY, STOCK catback

Anyone run this setup? How loud is it compared to stock?

I'm thinking of going back to stock catback and a cutout as my exhaust is kind of loud for daily driving, starting up at 5AM every morning, attracting the wrong attention etc. I find myself not driving it a lot because of how much attention it gets at the wrong times lol.

Vids would be nice.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your option should work good but considering the cost of a electric cut-out take a look at these options that would cost less, and install in the I-pipe location.

Consider installing either a Magnaflow #12867($106) or Borla XR-1 #40085($117), both are 5" diameter with a 14-15" case length and will tone it down a good bit. Another good option is a Dynomax #24219($50) it's only 4" diameter so it'll offer better clearance and has a longer 18" case length, but it'll be a little less effective than the other 2 mufflers at toning it down.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak to the big cam part of your question - but I do have long tubes, off road y-pipe, and factory WS.6 muffler (with a cutout in the middle). Without the cats, the tone is noticeably louder than stock but it's pleasant and mild. I had a friend drive my car so I could see what it sounded like. I actually like the sound and don't plan on getting rid of the original muffler because it is just the right amount of noise for rolling around in stealth mode.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great idea. Thought the hooker catback was pretty tame though.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

All I can tell you that a buddy of mine has something just like this (long tubes, ORY and stock cat back with a cutout, and with a t-rex cam). With the cutout closed you can barley hear that big *** cam lol, and with it open it sounds like a drag car
Old 12-02-2014, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is What I did.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...-too-loud.html
Old 12-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Great idea. Thought the hooker catback was pretty tame though.
Its not super loud, but with the cam, no cats and 3" Y into a 4" merge its still pretty loud. It does sound great though so I might miss it lol...

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
OO sounds good. The second vid is Borla catback tho right? I'm thinking box stock catback.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

While I do not have a cam, I have longtubes, ory and ran the factory 98 ws6 single tip exhaust for awhile, it was hardly any diff at idle and was quiet while normal driving and cruising but got loud at WOT. I wound up taking it off due to just not liking the sound of it over half throttle.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:37 PM
Teching In

I have the exact setup you are considering.

My car has a 3600 stall/heads/cam w/ a choppy idle. My previous exhaust was longtubes w/ offroad y-pipe going into an SLP LM1 exhaust. The car was rediculously loud and got to be somewhat embarrasing.

Just last week I had the stock muffler off my car reinstalled - my SS is a '98 so it's the SOTL system which I've been told is louder than other stock options. I kept everything from my prior exhaust setup in place - including the resonator that comes on the SLP LM1 exhaust.

I was very concerned with what the results were going to be, and honestly I couldn't be happier. It's louder than stock, but nowhere near what it was before. You can still hear the cam at idle and when you get on it, the car sounds great. As an added bonus, the car feels like it has a lot more torque - I'm guessing this has to due with the lack of back pressure the previous setup had.

I'll try to see if I can get a sound clip this weekend.

- Mike
Old 01-09-2015, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

I have cam, LTs, no cats, stock mufflers with cutouts on my C5. Sounds good but very tame and will not raise any attention. However the lumpy cam does not like the stock mufflers. It is more difficult to come off the clutch smoothly and is down 15rwhp through the stockers.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

I had a GT2-3 cammed setup with speed eng 1 3/4 lt's and their oryp with a 3.5" magnaflow bullet welded right on the cut off collector (where it was a true 3.5" merge and not necked down to fit the stock cb) After the bullet was a badlandz 3.5" electric cutout with my factory 2000 ws6 catback. It sounded great and was honestly just as nice sounding with the cutout open as my previous td's with chambered mufflers. It had no rasp at all. I ended up buying a new magnaflow catback and cutting the ipipe to fit with the cutout. I honestly like the sound of the stock cb more than the magnaflow as its just too damn quiet until I really get on it. I had it dynoed with the stock cb on and there was only a 7rwhp/6rwtq diff going through the cutout. Setup made 375rwhp.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
I honestly like the sound of the stock cb more than the magnaflow as its just too damn quiet until I really get on it. I had it dynoed with the stock cb on and there was only a 7rwhp/6rwtq diff going through the cutout. Setup made 375rwhp.
Weird, I wouldn't have guessed the stock one would be louder then the Magnaflow. That's pretty much the exact setup I'm thinking of doing. I already have headers, 3"ORY into a Flowmaster 3" to 4" merge. So id like to basically carry that 4" pipe to the back seat area and install a big cutout, then neck it down to the stock catback. Possibly even get a bullet muffler between the merge and cutout if there is room, 4" is a big *** pipe lol.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by David_viny
Weird, I wouldn't have guessed the stock one would be louder then the Magnaflow. That's pretty much the exact setup I'm thinking of doing. I already have headers, 3"ORY into a Flowmaster 3" to 4" merge. So id like to basically carry that 4" pipe to the back seat area and install a big cutout, then neck it down to the stock catback. Possibly even get a bullet muffler between the merge and cutout if there is room, 4" is a big *** pipe lol.
That was at idle and part throttle crusing. At WOT I couldnt really tell as I usually had the electric cutout cracked open a lil bit. It sounds the best with the cutout barely cracked open crusing around and like that it is still loud as **** when getting on it no matter what cb is on the car! I will say the car had more pull to it when kicking it down with the cutout closed no matter what the dyno says about hp with it open.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Ive got a polluter cam, bbk LT's, ORY, and the factory CME.

Its actually pretty quiet. I think a bone stock ls1 with an aftermarket muffler is louder than my set-up.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

My buddies ms4 with a dual dual was still noticeable.

Here's my old MS3 setup with 1 3/4 LTs, ORY and a hooker cb plus cutout open vs closed.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a stock SLP Dual/Dual catback on my car. Its fairly quiet, but sounds good. You can tell I have a cam. Versus the 4" cutout I have on my car just after the ORY, it only loses 6hp/8tq on back to back dyno runs. Even though its quiet, it flows great. I don't know about the stock Z28 style muffler though. You can tell a dual/dual by the case. Its stainless and has several rivets showing on the case. If your muffler is perfectly smooth, its the base option stock muffler.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by moeZ28
I have a stock SLP Dual/Dual catback on my car. Its fairly quiet, but sounds good. You can tell I have a cam. Versus the 4" cutout I have on my car just after the ORY, it only loses 6hp/8tq on back to back dyno runs. Even though its quiet, it flows great. I don't know about the stock Z28 style muffler though. You can tell a dual/dual by the case. Its stainless and has several rivets showing on the case. If your muffler is perfectly smooth, its the base option stock muffler.
My 2000 WS-6 had the base muffler and lost like 7-8hp and a lot of sound through the cb.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Launching!

I have a big cam, headers and an off-road y-pipe with a stock WS6 catback. I like the sound of it, it's not loud enough to attract negative attention but still turns heads and there is no questioning that it's got the cam. As for power it's the only exhaust setup the car has ever seen so I don't know how much power it's costing me but it can't be a lot because the car put down 409rwhp and the only mods are the cam and associated valve train, lid, headers, and y-pipe.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I can't argue with anybody's dyno results, but a guy on here a few years ago cut open a stock catback. The inside of the thing was a ridiculously restrictive combination of pipes, packing and baffles. I can't see running one of those things when a straight-through muffler like Magnaflow or Hooker Maxflow has almost zero restriction and is quiet in normal driving.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I can't argue with anybody's dyno results, but a guy on here a few years ago cut open a stock catback. The inside of the thing was a ridiculously restrictive combination of pipes, packing and baffles. I can't see running one of those things when a straight-through muffler like Magnaflow or Hooker Maxflow has almost zero restriction and is quiet in normal driving.
I agree. The inside of the stock catback looks kinda like a mouse maze without the cheese at the end. I will say that my car had a notieceably better sotp feel when running through the stock cb vs the cutout.

Quick Reply: Big cam, ORY, STOCK catback