Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability Mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability Mods

I recently had the factory alternator go out in my 134k mile Z28. I took that as a sign to upgrade to a 145A truck alternator and a truck starter with the two long bolts. I got them both for $100 from a local salvage yard and picked up an exciter pigtail from eBay for $7.

I upgraded the power/ground cables with 2ga welding cable as well. Battery to block, battery to chassis, block to chassis, battery to starter.

It all went smooth and the peace of mind is well worth it. I highly recommend these upgrades to those on the fence about it.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by WREK LS1
It all went smooth and the peace of mind is well worth it. I highly recommend these upgrades to those on the fence about it.
Why? What benefit did you get out of it? The stock set up lasted 134K miles and >10 years. What do you expect to get out of this set up?
Old 12-07-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice upgrade
Old 12-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by .boB
Why? What benefit did you get out of it? The stock set up lasted 134K miles and >10 years. What do you expect to get out of this set up?
I expect to not have to worry about the factory starter with the short bolt one day torquing a chunk off my block. I also expect the higher amperage alternator to benefit the entire electrical system at idle and especially at WOT. The original parts worked but these parts work better in our application IMO.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:45 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by .boB
The larger alternator has more amps output at lower speeds. And it has bigger bearings and rectifiers. The rectifiers on the smaller unit are maxed out.

The long bolt/short bolt starter can break on the short side placing all the stress on the long bolt side. Worst case scenario, the starter boss part of the engine block can break off. Instant scrap. GM doesn't use the long bolt/short bolt starters anymore.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post18227772
Old 12-12-2014, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WREK LS1
I recently had the factory alternator go out in my 134k mile Z28. I took that as a sign to upgrade to a 145A truck alternator and a truck starter with the two long bolts. I got them both for $100 from a local salvage yard and picked up an exciter pigtail from eBay for $7.

I upgraded the power/ground cables with 2ga welding cable as well. Battery to block, battery to chassis, block to chassis, battery to starter.

It all went smooth and the peace of mind is well worth it. I highly recommend
these upgrades to those on the fence about it.

wrek where did u get the wire,the connectors from and crimpers from assuming u used that kind of connector.

Quick Reply: Reliability Mods