Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Catch Can Routing

Old 12-09-2014, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Interesting Catch Can Routing

Motor is a 2002 Ls1 with non Ls6 pcv... I have a question about routing a catch can in the following way:

Run a valve cover oil cap adapter on passenger side valve cover and connect one line to that port... Other line will go to the rear driver side valve cover... Sound like it will work? I cant find anyone else running it like this... Below is the catch can setup... Let me know what you think...
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Catch Can Routing-img_0040_zps1db82529.jpg  
Old 12-09-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 501 Likes on 386 Posts

Will you put a PCV valve in the line to the TB?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bbond105
Will you put a PCV valve in the line to the TB?
Thats what I need to figure out... Not sure if this requires eliminating the pcv system, which I believe it may have too...
Old 12-09-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 501 Likes on 386 Posts

I am pretty sure you will need a PCV valve.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 455GTO
Motor is a 2002 Ls1 with non Ls6 pcv... I have a question about routing a catch can in the following way:

Run a valve cover oil cap adapter on passenger side valve cover and connect one line to that port... Other line will go to the rear driver side valve cover... Sound like it will work? I cant find anyone else running it like this... Below is the catch can setup... Let me know what you think...

It'll work as a vent, that's all. Adding a PCV valve won't accomplish anything 'cuz there's no vacuum source with that arrangement. If you are only looking for a crank case pressure vent, it's OK. If looking for a PCV circuit that moves fresh air through the crank case, it won't.

If you want a PCV circuit, use a PCV grommet on rear of driver side valve cover or in a line you run to the intake (opens toward intake). Put a T in the line that runs from the catch can to rear of driver side valve cover & run it to the intake. Also, need a fresh air source from filtered air. Run a line after MAF to passenger side valve cover. Note: because the catch can has a filter, there will be unmeasured air entering the engine once you connect to the manifold (unless there's a check valve in the catch can). This isn't a huge deal, but, it will lean out the normal driving mix a bit.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1-450
It'll work as a vent, that's all. Adding a PCV valve won't accomplish anything 'cuz there's no vacuum source with that arrangement. If you are only looking for a crank case pressure vent, it's OK. If looking for a PCV circuit that moves fresh air through the crank case, it won't.

If you want a PCV circuit, use a PCV grommet on rear of driver side valve cover or in a line you run to the intake (opens toward intake). Put a T in the line that runs from the catch can to rear of driver side valve cover & run it to the intake. Also, need a fresh air source from filtered air. Run a line after MAF to passenger side valve cover. Note: because the catch can has a filter, there will be unmeasured air entering the engine once you connect to the manifold (unless there's a check valve in the catch can). This isn't a huge deal, but, it will lean out the normal driving mix a bit.
Thanks for all the info! So in order for this setup to fully work, I would lose the stock PCV setup, cap off all the ports not used and just connect the lines to both sources correct? Want to make sure I can ditch the stock PCV setup when running this way.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 455GTO
Thanks for all the info! So in order for this setup to fully work, I would lose the stock PCV setup, cap off all the ports not used and just connect the lines to both sources correct? Want to make sure I can ditch the stock PCV setup when running this way.

In general, yes. Metered (comes from TB nipple tht takes filtered air after MAF) fresh air source to passenger side cover. PCV valve mounted in a grommet, rear of driver side valve cover. Connect the two valve covers together w/an in-line T. T'd line runs to intake manifold w/ catch can installed in the line.

It will work w/ the filter in the catch can, but won't be as efficient @ moving air through the crank case because the system will also be pulling air from the catch can that doesn't run through the crank case; unless there is a check valve in the catch can that blocks ambient air from entering the catch can, but opens to allow pressure venting.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1-450
In general, yes. Metered (comes from TB nipple tht takes filtered air after MAF) fresh air source to passenger side cover. PCV valve mounted in a grommet, rear of driver side valve cover. Connect the two valve covers together w/an in-line T. T'd line runs to intake manifold w/ catch can installed in the line.

It will work w/ the filter in the catch can, but won't be as efficient @ moving air through the crank case because the system will also be pulling air from the catch can that doesn't run through the crank case; unless there is a check valve in the catch can that blocks ambient air from entering the catch can, but opens to allow pressure venting.
You have been a major help, thanks a bunch!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting Catch Can Routing