Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of questions about ASP pulley install.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions about ASP pulley install.

Just purchased the ASP pulley for my 2004 GTO. I'm going to give this a go myself. My car is a six speed if that matters.

1.) Is the crankshaft harmonic balancer bolt left or right hand threaded?

2.) How do I hold the engine still to apply the proper torque to the bolt when the new pulley is being installed?

3.) What is the torque for the front crank bolt? Is there a torquing sequence or do you just torque it down once to the spec and that's it?

4.) I don't believe it will, but will oil come pouring out when the pulley is pressed off?

5.) I have a standard balancer puller, the three slot kind, I assume this will work fine on my car.

6.) Any tips you can think of would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the links. Answered most of my questions.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1COOLPC
4.) I don't believe it will, but will oil come pouring out when the pulley is pressed off?

5.) I have a standard balancer puller, the three slot kind, I assume this will work fine on my car.
no

maybe i used the largest one pep boys had to get it off...its a decent fine threaded one...other than that those links should help you out.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:04 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

*GASP*

Old 05-27-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1.) Is the crankshaft harmonic balancer bolt left or right hand threaded? Normal threaded

2.) How do I hold the engine still to apply the proper torque to the bolt when the new pulley is being installed? Put the car in 4th gear with the e-brake on. If it's an auto, you need a flywheel locker tool or a large screwdriver.

3.) What is the torque for the front crank bolt? Is there a torquing sequence or do you just torque it down once to the spec and that's it? I think it is 240 ft/lbs, but no one can usually go that high. At tight as you possibly can is fine. Some use impact wrenches, I wouldn't reccomend it. To reinstall the pulley, put it on, and use the old bolt to get it on all the way, and then torque it. Remove it and install the new bolt and torque it. Do no use the old bolt to "push" the pulley on if the bolt isn't hooked to many threads. Get a longer one at a store and use that.

4.) I don't believe it will, but will oil come pouring out when the pulley is pressed off? No

5.) I have a standard balancer puller, the three slot kind, I assume this will work fine on my car. I'm not sure, I used a three-claw gear/pulley puller to remove mine.

6.) Any tips you can think of would be appreciated. Good luck

Thank you. Your welcome

Oh, and this is for an LS1 F-body, I am not sure if the GTO is any different.