Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!AIR! Leave it or Take it off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default !AIR! Leave it or Take it off? Revised with PIC!!!

I finally got round to doin the !AIR! mod, I was procrastinating mostly due to not having some good block off plates for the manifolds. I tried the directions on how to build your own from 22g rolled stell aka(ls1camaro.net), but god this things suck and leak all over the damn place. I should have know better. So what I did was cut the pipes where they bolt up to the manifold and made those my block off plates, then just used a bolt and screwed it in the hole and then cut it flush with my dremel. Worked like a charm its like having stock block off plates and one more thing I want people to know, these things will LEAK if you dont have fresh new manifold gaskets, the aluminum type (RTV yea right!!!) LOL.....

Anyway back to the thread!!!!!! Am I suppose to leave the little crossover thing where the hoses meet behind the manifold, its connected to something on the back of the manifold. I was gonna take it off but then I saw it goes to something in the back so I let it be for now, till i get some info on it. Anyone Know?????????/

Last edited by 2000Z28M6; 05-28-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can remove the hoses.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default AIR - pull the fuses????

I removed the EGR pump/tubing and blocked off my intake hole where the tube was inserted. I also made block-off plates from heavy guage alimunum stock to block off the holes in the headers. I know that the 17lb AIR unit and hoses can all be removed, however, there are two fuses in the two fuse boxes on the driver's side, under the hood. Both control power to/for the AIR unit. If you leave the hoses open, where they come out on both sides of the engine, they blow DAMN REALLY hot air. If you pull the fuses, the pump shuts off. I am assuming these fuses need to be removed with the AIR unit. Anyone know for sure?
Old 05-27-2004, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
I removed the EGR pump/tubing and blocked off my intake hole where the tube was inserted. I also made block-off plates from heavy guage alimunum stock to block off the holes in the headers. I know that the 17lb AIR unit and hoses can all be removed, however, there are two fuses in the two fuse boxes on the driver's side, under the hood. Both control power to/for the AIR unit. If you leave the hoses open, where they come out on both sides of the engine, they blow DAMN REALLY hot air. If you pull the fuses, the pump shuts off. I am assuming these fuses need to be removed with the AIR unit. Anyone know for sure?
I took off my EGR and pump, Air and pump as well. I just unpluged the air pump and took it out. Didnt take out any fuses thought. So, i guess they are doing nothing really.. I havent had any problems yet.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:02 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get rid of it all; pump, hoses, fuses. with both my egr and air gone it makes it a lot easier to work on the car.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

wish had a pic but im talkin bout this little hose that is connected to the hose splitter. If i disconnect it does it unplug from behind the intake or do you leave it hanging and just plug it up ? The hoses are all out except for that hose splitter its still there cuz its connected to that other lil hose. What is that other lil hose connected to ? It trails to far back of the intake, cant tell what its connected to. Does anyone know what I'm talkin bout ?
Old 05-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Someone Please Tell Me What This Mod Is? And If It Adds Any Hp?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no HP. just looks...removing some emissions equipment.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:50 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
get rid of it all; pump, hoses, fuses. with both my egr and air gone it makes it a lot easier to work on the car.
Exactly. With all that junk out of the way swapping plugs is a 30 minute job.

FYI I removed my AIR equipment almost 4 yrs ago, haven't looked back
Old 05-28-2004, 03:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Changing the plugs in 30 minutes! I need to do this mod too, cuz I still have the original plugs in. Every once in awhile i get a SES light when i drive it easy around town. Damn miss fire code.